HD effect for playing SD

RayLarson

Toasterholic
I am looking for a very popular effect that is used on TV when playing SD footage on HD or 16x9. It blurs the left and right side of the frame using the video from the 4x3 image to basically fill the 16x9 frame. News uses it a lot when combining SD and HD footage and networks use it for the same reason. I would love an easy way to do it with SpeedEdit

I am looking for a very popular effect that is used on TV when playing SD footage on HD or 16x9. It blurs the left and right side of the frame using the video from the 4x3 image to basically fill the 16x9 frame. News uses it a lot when combining SD and HD footage and networks use it for the same reason. I would love an easy way to do it with SpeedEdit

Once you have your edit done, render it to it's 4x3 shape
Next, make a sub project out of the edit timeline and place it on a new 16x9 timeline
Put the rendered edit behind it on a separate track and stretch the width to fill the 16x9
Put a blur effect on the rendered edit (or any other effect or process.)

Thanx Donx, I'll give it a try. I was hoping it was a little less complicated since there are just a few in a timeline I use but I catch your drift.

If you're gonna blur it anyway, render it in really low quality, like an M2P DVD LQ MPEG2. It's fastest to render.

Of course the less you blur it the faster it will play in timeline. Blurring is a very CPU intensive function because it's spreading one pixel over many neighbors. Imagine if you had to spread millions of pixels over all of their neighbors (like a factor of 50 or something) for every frame of some dude's video BACKGROUND!

I mean talk about workload! Do we ever show any consideration to our computers about what we're actually asking them to DO for us?

Last edited:
You don't even need to render it. Just edit it, AS IS, and then duplicate the clip. Resize the "X" size of the duplicate clip (so that it fill the whole screen vertically), blur it, and place it behind the original clip. Then, just turn "overlay" on for the original clip. I do this all the time, works like a champ.

Back