glTF 2.0

gar26lw

anyone know if lightwave supports this format or intends to support it, if there is a plugin etc?

i know modo 12 does but don’t have acces to that atm and was hoping to keep things lw centric

cheers

anyone know if lightwave supports this format or intends to support it, if there is a plugin etc?

i know modo 12 does but don’t have acces to that atm and was hoping to keep things lw centric

cheers
You need to follow a LW->Collada->GlTF path, at least that's what wworks for GlTF 1.x

I don't think I've had success with a direct LW->Collada export, have needed to use another tool for achieving a viable .dae Collada file. From memory I believe I did succeed getting Blender to do this, except that first you need a 3D file format where Blender imports surfaces with textures attached ... yep, it does get convoluted but it is free.

Once you have a decent .dae (Collada) of your file with textures, you can DL a tool Collada2gltf.exe for the final conversion process (https://github.com/KhronosGroup/COLLADA2GLTF)

thanks, i ended up using an online converter that takes an obj etc and converts to glTF 2.0
Sure thing, I should have remembered that one as well ...

We thought about that, but of course if you are fairly IP conscious then "handing over" a model to such a process (even given the benefits) may be out of bounds ... as it was for us.

----------
I'll need to chase up what the benefits are of glTF 2.0 over 1.0 - I do know that we were not successful in getting opacity/transparency maps to work (e.g. a helicopter rotor disk) with 1.0

yeah i’ll definitely give the way you suggest a go, thanks. modo 12 has good giTF support if that’s in the toolbox.

So I had a go with the new Blender 2.8 beta.

I was surprised to see its glTF 2.0 import/export capability, but it actually works:

1. Exported from 2018 Layout to .fbx (FBX201600) -> Import into Blender 2.8 -> Export from Blender to .glb (binary)
. - single frame export only (see bottom lhand in Blender export for option)
. - my glTF viewer (custom) seemed to display a not-so-cool darkening of textures

2. Exported from 2018 Modeler to .obj -> Import into Blender 2.8 -> Export from Blender to .glb (binary)
. - single frame export only (see bottom lhand in Blender export for option)
. - my glTF viewer (custom) showed a good end result

This is a much more straightforward way to get things done ...

Back