Garbage Masking using splines.

PabloMack

SciEngArtist
It would be nice if we could create one or more areas bounded by splines that could be used as a Garbage Matte. Everything bounded by the splines would be forced to be invisible. This would make it possible to have a green screen that does not fill the frame. Also, you could put markers on a green screen that don't get chroma keyed out for use as motion trackers. The garbage matte would be an easy way to force areas to be invisible and let the images behind them to show through.

Not to disagree, but just in case you didn't know - I think one of Bob Tasa's plugins provided spline masking .. could be wrong. (Apart from that, you can get a certain basic functionality out of crop, and/or simple rectangles.)

It would be nice if we could create one or more areas bounded by splines that could be used as a Garbage Matte. Everything bounded by the splines would be forced to be invisible. This would make it possible to have a green screen that does not fill the frame. Also, you could put markers on a green screen that don't get chroma keyed out for use as motion trackers. The garbage matte would be an easy way to force areas to be invisible and let the images behind them to show through.

It's simple in app that has history/modifier stack. Just subtract one geometry from other.
But in LW it would be nightmare.

Replace subtraction by controlling Transparency of surface.
f.e. null item with some radius. spot info->world position and item info->world position, args to vector > distance, then to gradient, then to transparency. Move null to reveal stuff in animation.

Oh, I thought so we're talking about LW..

Last edited:
Although I'm not sure if his plug-ins are compatible with SE 2.x or if these plug-ins provide exactly what you're looking for.
I couldn't say either, but Bob recently popped up in the VTNT list, and would likely respond to an email.

The ability to invert a 'Crop' would allow flexability to use a green frame along the edges of a frame.

Not to disagree, but just in case you didn't know - I think one of Bob Tasa's plugins provided spline masking .. could be wrong. (Apart from that, you can get a certain basic functionality out of crop, and/or simple rectangles.)

Rectangles would certainly be less computing intensive (resulting in faster render speeds). I'll have to experiment with that. Splines with edge softness control is really complicated to implement and might run really slow (What we don't want is SlowEDIT). I'm sure that explains why Adobe After Effects runs SOOOOOO SLOWWWWW.

Back