Fog in 2020.3?

ianay

I havent created fog in LW since prob version 11 and I recall it was pretty straightforward...
I just had a go last night on 2020.3 ...
It is totally different, legacy volumetrics? Ground fog? Ray Marcher? Top and Bottom?? What on earth is any of this??? There are zero tutorials on how to create fog in 2020.3!
I literally have no idea!
Anyone help on how to set up a foggy scene with dense fog at around 60 meters away in an urban street scene?

Thanks for any help

I havent created fog in LW since prob version 11 and I recall it was pretty straightforward...
I just had a go last night on 2020.3 ...
It is totally different, legacy volumetrics? Ground fog? Ray Marcher? Top and Bottom?? What on earth is any of this??? There are zero tutorials on how to create fog in 2020.3!
I literally have no idea!
Anyone help on how to set up a foggy scene with dense fog at around 60 meters away in an urban street scene?

Thanks for any help
you do not need legacy volumetrics to work with tha older fog levels, it´s not truly volumetric, but it´s not that realistic either.
Ground fog, skip it..to slow to use.
Add a volume item and play around with it, takes a bit of time to know it maybe.

Why not just use Render > Options > Render Properties > Volumetrics > Enable Volumetrics > Volume Integrator > Fog settings? They're pretty much the same as LW 2015's fog settings, so I reckon they'd be similar to LW11 too.

LW 2020 Volumetrics and Fog

Why not just use Render > Options > Render Properties > Volumetrics > Enable Volumetrics > Volume Integrator > Fog settings? They're pretty much the same as LW 2015's fog settings, so I reckon they'd be similar to LW11 too.

LW 2020 Volumetrics and Fog
Perfect!... I knew it was staring at me in the face from somewhere...
Just needed to head in the right direction. Cheers!

it´s not going to give you any realistic lighting though, what you gain is a very fast fog type though, and sure..it could be enough for what you need.

This you won´t pull off with that kind of fog method though...
49746305106_09d1340a7d_o.jpg

or...(comes at render cost though)
Lightwave 2019 primitive item volumetrics, no global scatter, I can control scale, depth, height etc by just resizing and move that item, if I want lesser fog in front of camera, or add a color layer node in the volume items node editor, and add a distance to camera gradient, takes a bit to get to know how that works though.

Volume items should work the same in Lightwave 2020.3

volume item fog.jpg
volume item fog2.jpg

Yep - super easy. And if you crank up some of the settings like Max Amount and change the color of the fog you can get some really funky results. :)

Yep - super easy. And if you crank up some of the settings like Max Amount and change the color of the fog you can get some really funky results. :)
it´s old school, fast..though it can´t react to casting rays or interact with the lighting properly, no anisotrophy/asymmetry, or picking up sunlight color intensity properly.

Max distiance values you can crank up to clear the fog in front of the camera.

basic fog.jpg

fog use backdrop color.jpg

forgot GI..here it is...

fog and GI.jpg

And real volume items, huge difference in renderspeed though of course...

volume fog item.jpg

Combining global scatter and basic backround fog is also doable to get more responsive fog to the light, it will still not cast shadow rays properly based on low level fog.

Samples a bit noisy since I am just showcasing as fast I can..and thus not letting it render iterate fully.

Last edited:
I would enable first the fog from the scene and see if it gives me what I need. In case it doesn't, I will try using a primitive item volumetric, as they allow a lot more tweaking possibilities and control overall, but I believe they may take longer.

A third way would be rendering a depth pass and add it in comp and mimic the fog effect, or even try the same approach inside Lightwave3D using the dPont Image Filter node :)

There are samples already here from both situations.

Back