Egyptian fun at work

andrew_y

Here is a project I started some time back. This was more or less research for myself using Lightwave and LiveSet technology together. One day I'll finish it up.

Only one camera angle here.. straight on.

=D

Egyptian set

see attached for preview

Last edited:
lol, you have no idea what I just did to this set Andrew :devil:

I think this may become a work in progress thread.

The two light sources are casting their shadows now, but I think I can add a few more tricks that we've talked about before tomorrow.

I'll have to get you to post it for download though, the forum isn't accepting the attachments yet.

sweet.. cant wait to see the result.

On the flip side, I have a new angle! I'll bring in the assets tomorrow!

Last edited:
Cool, I like that angle and it shows off the dark corner too.

I'm a little confused about the location of that left light and why it is so dark over there but so bright in the center and right. Don't get me wrong, I like the darkness, but I'm not positive how the guy will be lit as he walks in and out of it.

My footage at home is really bad. It's hard to key the footage I have here because they are badly lit and too close to the blue screen :(

It's not easy to get the shadows right with a rough key, but I think the darkness and softness on the edges are pretty close now and they seem to cross each other ok.

I've still got the dark corner lighting thing to deal with though.

Anyone who doesn't think this is pretty cool (whether they are doing a re-make of 'The Mummy' or not) should consider scheduling medical tests to see if their imagination is still working.

John Perkins said:
Cool, I like that angle and it shows off the dark corner too.

I'm a little confused about the location of that left light and why it is so dark over there but so bright in the center and right. Don't get me wrong, I like the darkness, but I'm not positive how the guy will be lit as he walks in and out of it.

Really cool stuff guys. I would imagine the relatively narrow throw of that left-side light allows for a decent level of mystique to be conveyed in the scene. Of course, the director and/or live talent need to be aware of that dark corner when lighting that talent -- not to overdo it...

Incredible stuff.
-PeterG

CreatvGnius said:
Of course, the director and/or live talent need to be aware of that dark corner when lighting that talent -- not to overdo it...
-PeterG

Not necessarily :devil:

Andrew and I are just having fun now that we can play with the sets quickly due to the plugins and we're free of the "nobody will ever use that" constraint.

Why should Wolf Blitzer and Goerge Bush be the only ones to have their own 'Situation Room'? ;)

John Perkins said:
Not necessarily :devil:

Andrew and I are just having fun now that we can play with the sets quickly due to the plugins and we're free of the "nobody will ever use that" constraint.

Ah. I receive that exception, there, John. And eh, in light of that expressed freedom, heck, throw the shadow capability back in!

OK. I'm out. Great work!
-PeterG

SBowie said:
Why should Wolf Blitzer and Goerge Bush be the only ones to have their own 'Situation Room'? ;)

Ya' *know* Stever,
I'm a bit anxious for the day when multiple images can be segmented onto one display *cheaply* -- for live production purposes; and in the context of a 3D live virtual set scenario -- would *love* to be able to have more than 2 "FX" sources on-screen at once in our TriCaster STUDIO™.

That said, how many, on-screen sources, in a live situation, are possible with VT[5], and without any other outboard hardware?
:question:
-PeterG

Off the top of my head, for TC Studio, VT[5], and the upcoming TC Pro FX, I think the practical ceiling for the moment will be 4 'motion sources' in total: one from Main, one from FX, one from Preview Next, one from the DSK/Overlay (I am not including multiple iterations of a given source in this count.)

Not having tried it, I'm not certain that 'success' with even this many sources will not depend to some degree on hardware (PCI throughput, gfx card and cpu) ... but I think this is the practical limit of how many can be conveniently assigned from within the UI at present. Kindly do not boil me in oil if I've got it wrong in any small way, this is just my best current understanding.

It is not mapping based on sources, but buses on the switcher.

You have the input you apply the set to, Effects, DSK and Preview busses, so up to four.

Once you use the preview bus it gets really complicated though. It's hard to switch one of those live when a take will change what is on the preview bus. You would really have to think through the situation to make that a viable option.

You can reuse the same bus multiple times though, like for a video wall or multiple screens, etc.

Edit: Looks like Steve and I were typing at the same time ;)

CreatvGnius said:
heck, throw the shadow capability back in!
-PeterG

BTW, I'm not using anything that isn't in the shipping plugins.

This is a really hardcore test for the Aura plugin. Once the Aura plugin is available I'll post the source project so that people can see how it was created.

John Perkins said:
BTW, I'm not using anything that isn't in the shipping plugins. This is a really hardcore test for the Aura plugin.

What aspect(s) of this test is trickiest for you, pray tell?

John Perkins said:
Once the Aura plugin is available I'll post the source project so that people can see how it was created.

Oh, OK, nice! :thumbsup:
-PeterG

not sure what happened there, but i'll dig it up when I'm at the office and re-post it. There wasn't much to it if i remember correctly. I should revisit this one someday.. lotta potential for a cool set.

Back