Effects Tally

JoelKarr

With the new LiveSets we now have the possibility of having 3 live videos to the output at one time (double box with partial fade to a 3rd channel). Which is fantastic, but the Effects channel has no tally.

In our setup we have 2 handheld camera operators that get close-up shots of our Praise team band and they depend on a tally light to notify them when they are live. But if they are the input to the Effects channel then they have no notification. This causes them to THINK they are no longer live and they move to prepare for their next shot. This has caused several bad moves while live so we are trying to work around it with voice communications that will not always save the shot!

It would be nice to see a tally for all inputs that are in the output mix.

VT5 rocks! We are loving the LiveSets! Great addition Newtek!

To add to this, effects *does* trigger tally during PGM - PST transitions.

Example:
1 is on MAIN
2 is on PRESET
3 is on EFFECTS

1 has Tally, of course.

But as you perform a transition from 1 [MAIN] to 2 [PST], cameras 2 AND 3 get tally during the transition.

Of course once the transition is complete and 2 jumps to MAIN and 1 to PST, 1 looses tally, and 3 again looses tally.

So during the transition - during which time 3 was never on the air, 3 had tally - but only during the transition.

:stumped:

- Mikko

mikkowilson said:
To add to this, effects *does* trigger tally during PGM - PST transitions.

Example:
1 is on MAIN
2 is on PRESET
3 is on EFFECTS

1 has Tally, of course.

But as you perform a transition from 1 [MAIN] to 2 [PST], cameras 2 AND 3 get tally during the transition.

Of course once the transition is complete and 2 jumps to MAIN and 1 to PST, 1 looses tally, and 3 again looses tally.

So during the transition - during which time 3 was never on the air, 3 had tally - but only during the transition.

:stumped:

- Mikko
Hi, Mikko.
Please allow me to assume that your use of the term "Preset" or "PST" is the same as the term we use here: "PREVIEW" (that's the lower buss our VT systems are labeled here in the U.S.).

That said, I would have imagined that during a transition from
1 [currently on MAIN] to
2 [currently on PREVIEW] with an additional source we'll call...
3 [cued up on EFFECTS]...
...then during a transition from 1 to 2 , there necessarily would be a tally on both 1 & 2, since clearly, those two busses (MAIN and PREVIEW) are the ones effected by said transition. Am I not correct?

Is something amiss with your tally, or am I missing something in the equation (perhaps there are some other settings which are at play, which you haven't explained to us)?

Just looking for some clarity, as we haven't installed the VT[5] upgrade, since we're hampered for now, with a mere 533MHz front-side buss in our host PC.
Thanks in advance to you, and/or anyone who could offer some explanation for clarity's sake.
-PeterG

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm using PST as "Preset" - referring to the bus VT calles "Preview". To me (in line with most professional switchers) "Preview" / "PVW" is the monitor/output .. as many systems use the PVW monitor for more than just the PST bus.
Interchangeable terms often though. Only been back with VT a few days after a couple of years off, can't remember the unit specific terms, so I go with the generic.

Yes, both 1 and 2 should get tally during the transition, but 3 shouldn't. It should be like this:
VT5_FX-Tally_Right.gif

But instead 3 is also getting tally during the transition:
VT5_FX-Tally_Wrong.gif

It seems that the "Effects" bus is still being triggered by the same tally as the "Preview" bus, and therefore triggering tally on the source on both buses.

I think ideally there would be something like this: in the "Live Key" settings there would be a little check-box labeled "Tally Effects" and only when sources with that box checked received tally, would the effect's bus also get tally.

- Mikko

Last edited:
I'm working on a hardware solution to this. It would provide tally for all three busses and would even work with Bob's xtra channel. How much would you pay?

Would you be ok with it working only with the first eight sources on the switcher module?

Thanks Jeff,

As I am soldering up a tally interface/amplifier box as we speak, [literally set the iron down to refresh this thread] I don't have much interest in extra components for this particular install at least.

Just pointing out a bug in VT[5]'s code, that's all. :)

- Mikko

I think ideally there would be something like this: in the "Live Key" settings there would be a little check-box labeled "Tally Effects" and only when sources with that box checked received tally, would the effect's bus also get tally.

Would it not be better if the VT-5 automatically 'checked that box' (in other words there would be no tick box) if the source had effects applied to it?

My USBTally interface project will be completed in Oct. First beta PCB will be on test this week.

For VT[5]:
1. A control/status plugin module came with interface.
2. 8x3 (expandable to 16x3 or 24x3) relay contacts to control extarnal tally lights for Live, Preview and Effext bus.
3. I have add the ability to PGM+PVW channels Tallys on PGM out during transition.
4. There are no SDK functions that can show which channels are used by LiveSet, but I have a solution to show Tally lights used by LiveSet. Will add it this weeks. It will detect which channel have LiveSet on and add FX channel to PGM tally lights if they are used during LiveSet session.

For TriCaster,
1. Due to no SDK from NewTek for TriCaster, I have to use ToasterScript and some external programs to support the USB Tally interface.
2. 8x3 relay contacts to control extarnal tally lights for Live, Preview and Effext bus.
3. The ability to PGM+PVW channels Tallys on PGM out during transition.
4. Since it is impossible to detect the status with ToasterScript, so currently there will be no support for showing if FX bus is use by LiveSet or not. Will add LiveSet support if I can dig something out of NewTek change their policy to the TriCaster SDK.

Back