Create your own 3D avatar with Stereo Slit Scanner plugin

vncnt

The panorama mode in your mobile phone is useless for slit scanning a head or body, or slit scanning panorama images in stereo-3D. Therefore I've written this Stereo Slit Scanner, an Image Filter plugin.

View attachment 149419

I've added a quick-n-dirty example and instructions on my homepage.
It contains hints to improve the result considerably.

A download link to my LScript plugin (v2021.0) for Layout is included.

http://home.kpn.nl/vincentmesman/slitscanner.html

The page is a work-in-progress so please let me know what should be added or changed.

Have fun!

Attachments

• raw.png
    raw.png
    276.2 KB · Views: 326
As a mostly 2D process, I would have imagined that this is already done with a script/plugin for a 2D image editor. However, I could not find anything that compares. This technique in LightWave is clever.

As a mostly 2D process, I would have imagined that this is already done with a script/plugin for a 2D image editor. However, I could not find anything that compares.
I'm sure a solution would be possible in Fusion as well but I've never scripted for Fusion.

This technique in LightWave is clever.
I was glad to end up with something that worked.

And it proved that it can also be used to capture panorama images that have depth information by rotating the heading of a video camera on a tripod.

But there is an important difference with regular panorama acquisition using stitched photo's - in that case you need to place the photo camera/lens exactly at the nodal point to eliminate parallax.

When you want depth information you need to place the video camera/lens behind the nodal point to generate a certain amount of parallax. The Slit Scanner must process the video in the same way as the Panorama mode in your mobile phone does with one difference: the slit for the left and right eyes aren't in the center of the video, they're on the left and right side.
The 2 resulting panoramas must be addressing each eye separately (VR glasses or stereo-3D display or Anaglyph glasses) and you're done.

I used this plugin to confirm this stereo-3D panorama techique and it really works.
Samsung should add this stereo-3D panorama mode to their phones.

Of course my plugin doesn't handle stabilization of hand-held shots.

Surprised to see that it works so well.

Nothing like a 3D scan, but still.
bcwLfNX.gif

Back