CG callbacks and timers

Can this be applied into SpeedEdit on VT[5]?

If not does anybody have a suggestion on how to do this in SpeedEdit?

I'm trying to do a count down for our youth program but that won't involve our VT[5] system at all I just need to create it and then burn off to a DVD.

Can this be applied into SpeedEdit on VT[5]?

If not does anybody have a suggestion on how to do this in SpeedEdit?

I'm trying to do a count down for our youth program but that won't involve our VT[5] system at all I just need to create it and then burn off to a DVD.

I just wander why anyone want a "live clock" to show current time at the SpeedEDIT output and I found I am mis-understanding your needs.
So what you want is a time counter that can count down on screen. I can write a filter (VFX) that count up/down from beginin of filter. It will take me few days since I still have some project by hand. I will announce when it finish.

Rather than using a filter, why not simply create an animated countdown and overlay it? (If you have VT you have Aura, which makes this quite easy to do.)

You'll have to forgive me, Ben - it was faster to do it myself than write out the explanation for the moment (I found a bug in Aura's Timecode Filter when I was doing it, so just did it in Mirage to save time).

* Download this file
* Drop it into SE
* Select it, hit "g" on the keyboard to reset it to full length
* Open the Clip Properties panel (F8)
* Turn on the Reverse switch (to make it a count-down)
* Set Size to 200% (and maybe turn on ISS if you feel like it)
* Set Fielding to Progressive
* Press "y' on the keyboard to turn on Overlay
* Use the Positioner to put it where you please

Voila. :)

Attachments

• five_count.mov
    4.7 MB · Views: 404
Steve,

Could you create one without the tenths of a second on it?

I guess the bug in Aura's Timecode Filter would prevent me from being able to do this myself?

Thanks!

Could you create one without the tenths of a second on it?
Sure, but not really necessary - just crop off the right-hand side of the animation (to the decimal point) using the Crop feature of SE's Positioner.

I guess the bug in Aura's Timecode Filter would prevent me from being able to do this myself?
No, there are probably a half dozen ways to do it. Actually, the bug related to getting the 10ths (which you originally thought you needed) working easily. Even without the timecode gen filter, this animation could be done - but it does make it simpler. You'll have to forgive me for not typing it out though ... busy week.

Somewhere around here I've got an old tutorial from (the fondly remembered) NewTek Pro magazine on the topic - here are some samples done long ago for that piece:

lcd.mov

odometer.mov

I'm having a problem getting the script to put out "8:44 AM". I put in 'GetLocalTime_HHMMPM()', but I get "8:44:32". Could I get some help?

GetLocalTime_HHMM()+" "+GetLocalTime_PM()
Thanks, but now I have a new problem. Since I started using the script I've had CGD crash everytime I copy groups, items with gradient, or even when I mess with the gradient presets. I have VT5.2a.

1. It is impossible to locate the problems without knowing how you use the script and what codes in your script.
2. For most case, script is nothing to do with CGD's operaitons (unless you let script run on background, ie. you are using callbacks such as timer...while your are operating CGD.). You can remove your script file and re-launch CGD again to make sure the crashes are made by script or not.

Just coming back to this... IS there a way to set up the script so I can input a date and have it could down? I'm think alongs the line of a daily show that would keep going back to the same graphic when counting down to an event.

They did this on Lettermen...

IS there a way to set up the script so I can input a date and have it could down? I'm think alongs the line of a daily show that would keep going back to the same graphic when counting down to an event....

Yes. It is possible. A timer script similiar to the time count up/down script I post in the forum months ago can do the job.
You can also reference to my LTMate in the following link:
http://www.animlab.com/NTAddons/eng/LTMate.html
It is for LiveText but can be modify for VT/CGDesigner. I can add a date dount down object into program so you can control you CG page's messages easily.

Yes. It is possible. A timer script similiar to the time count up/down script I post in the forum months ago can do the job.
You can also reference to my LTMate in the following link:
http://www.animlab.com/NTAddons/eng/LTMate.html
It is for LiveText but can be modify for VT/CGDesigner. I can add a date dount down object into program so you can control you CG page's messages easily.
Looks good, but my boss won't dish out $150 for something were only going to use for a few days... Oh well... Thanks.

LTMate can be used in many situations that automatically update messages for your CG/LiveText.
If you are only interested in using a script to solve your current needs, you can try my script service. Usually a customized special purpose script will cost you around $30-50. Please check
http://www.animlab.com/index_en.html
click "NewTek Addons" / "ToasterScripts" for a details.

Last edited:
Back