Call for an architectural vizualization tutorial in LW 2018

medzo

Hi

I am an arch viz artist and I have purchased new LW2018. Although I am sure this new render engine is a big step forward I do have to admit that I am struggling with it, especially with noise. I am aware there are LW docs available (and specifically a 'noise removal workflow' section), still render times are much longer than in previous versions of Lightwave.

I know this community is very helpful, but it would really help me (and others) to watch a video tutorial explaining how to prepare an architectural visualization indoors and outdoors focusing mostly on scene preparation, balancing samples, vegetation gotcha's, speed up solutions,...

...or maybe my 8 cores are ancient technology and I just need a more powerful computer :)

With best regards
Matej

-while you learning LW 2018 .. if you have a decent Nvidia (780 gtx for example) you may try also octane too...

Hi tyrot

I did test octane, it is great and easy to learn, but I would have to buy (as I have gathered information, but I could be wrong) at least 3 more graphic cards, cooling system... and there isn't a simple way to render on render farms (due to some licensing or something like that). And besides, haven't we all waited for the new Lightwave ;)

Matej

...but seriously, is an 8 core machine a thing of a past for doing fully 3d arch environments with LW new render engine? I am inclining to the idea that it is. What are your thoughts?

Matej

medzo,

my way of doing things -set all samples to 1, turn all materials to principal, turn off all glossy reflections.

turn off adaptive aa. add in your backdrop image. add in environment light or use gi. start with interpolated, set settings low.

setup scene, gradually increase samples on lights to get decent result, starting with env light if present.

once ok with lights, add in glossy setting to materials needing to reflect the backdrop. increase samples on reflection shading, up diffuse bounces if needed for gi. increase ray recursion if needed for materials etc..

set aa on and switch to adaptive if needed, low number of passes, max i find needed is 8to 16, adjust reconstruction filter.

i did things this way to get an acceptable render time, otherwise i was going to stick with 2015 or use modo.

might be better way but worked for me.

oh and don’t forget the cheats like burred spherical ref map.

i forgot to mention mis and importance sampling. keep low and up as needed with regard to backdrop and hotspots.

Last edited:
...but seriously, is an 8 core machine a thing of a past for doing fully 3d arch environments with LW new render engine? I am inclining to the idea that it is. What are your thoughts?

Matej

No.

And they are cheaper than similar farm setups than graphic cards.

Don't drink the kool aid - those farms didn't disappear because gpu render came about. I am an Octane user and it has helped me immensely with LW's new system. Looking forward to an update.
Robert

I'm sticking with rendering in 2015 for now for my arch viz work since I have not found a good reason to use 2018 in production work yet. I will continue to keep an eye on it and do some test renders in it for the time being.

that's all disappointing. was considering upgrading. we have a render farm, but i'd still like to see speed improvements along with quality improvements - not backwards. please keep sharing insights for those of us still on older version.

Back