Beginner bones and skeleton

Obi

Hello,

I created 'bones' in the 'layout'.
Question 1; do they have to be converted to 'skeleton' and why?
Question 2; the bones are not visible in the 'modeler'?

Thank you.

Question 1. No, Bones do not need to be converted.
Question 2. Bones are not used in Modeler. They are setup in Layout. There are "Skelgons" in modeler that can be converted to bones once the model is brought into Layout.

Here is a good tutorial on getting started with Bones. They are old, but still apply. Good Luck,

Just adding a bit.

To keep in mind, bones created in layout is only saved with the scenefile, so you can not save out objects with bones.
Unless using skelegons in modeler, and as such the skelegons is saved with the model, but it´s merely placeholders only to allow you to convert it to bones in layout.

There are differences in pitch rotation depending on how you create skelegons, as opposed to bones creation in layout.
Skelegons can be easy and quick to setup though, you can in modeler just take a polyline, or copy some edges and paste and in modler convert to skelegons.

Skelegons can be created and modified either in the same layer ast the mesh, or in another layer, but for it to convert to bones properly in Layout with convert skelegons, you have to pasate skelegons back to the mesh layer.

There is also genoma presets which is similar to skelegons, but more modular and with connectors etc to allow for IK setup controls once the model is sent to Layout.
For that in Layout you do not use convert skelegons but under the setup tab and the genoma section, create rig to convert it to bones with IK setup.
You basicly pick a desired preset rig in modeler with genoma, and pose it to the mesh by draggin it´s points or polys to match a mesh, that can be a bit tedious if you are not used to it.
Can be slow to convert once in layout as well, since it is building IK chains, using skelegons is faster, but it skips any such IK controls setup.

Question 1. No, Bones do not need to be converted.
Question 2. Bones are not used in Modeler. They are setup in Layout. There are "Skelgons" in modeler that can be converted to bones once the model is brought into Layout.

Here is a good tutorial on getting started with Bones. They are old, but still apply. Good Luck,

yes that's what started to doubt me, now I see it more clearly

Just adding a bit.

To keep in mind, bones created in layout is only saved with the scenefile, so you can not save out objects with bones.
Unless using skelegons in modeler, and as such the skelegons is saved with the model, but it´s merely placeholders only to allow you to convert it to bones in layout.

There are differences in pitch rotation depending on how you create skelegons, as opposed to bones creation in layout.
Skelegons can be easy and quick to setup though, you can in modeler just take a polyline, or copy some edges and paste and in modler convert to skelegons.

Skelegons can be created and modified either in the same layer ast the mesh, or in another layer, but for it to convert to bones properly in Layout with convert skelegons, you have to pasate skelegons back to the mesh layer.

There is also genoma presets which is similar to skelegons, but more modular and with connectors etc to allow for IK setup controls once the model is sent to Layout.
For that in Layout you do not use convert skelegons but under the setup tab and the genoma section, create rig to convert it to bones with IK setup.
You basicly pick a desired preset rig in modeler with genoma, and pose it to the mesh by draggin it´s points or polys to match a mesh, that can be a bit tedious if you are not used to it.
Can be slow to convert once in layout as well, since it is building IK chains, using skelegons is faster, but it skips any such IK controls setup.
thank you.

thank you.

Here´s more, an example where modeling skelegon tools might come in handy, I wouldn´t exactly try and start with bones in layout to pose after a tree mesh.
In this case dpont verdure tree plugin(free) can create the tree as polylines, so I first create the tree mesh and then the polyline mesh, the polyline mesh is then converted inside modeler to skelegons, so I didn´t have to do any rig posing at all...it was then saved, sent to layout and converting skelegons to bones.
The setup I showcase a bit in the end of the clip, no voice narration at that time when I recorded though.
by applying ik boster on the mesh, I could then ik control the tree slightly.

Here´s more, an example where modeling skelegon tools might come in handy, I wouldn´t exactly try and start with bones in layout to pose after a tree mesh.
In this case dpont verdure tree plugin(free) can create the tree as polylines, so I first create the tree mesh and then the polyline mesh, the polyline mesh is then converted inside modeler to skelegons, so I didn´t have to do any rig posing at all...it was then saved, sent to layout and converting skelegons to bones.
The setup I showcase a bit in the end of the clip, no voice narration at that time when I recorded though.
by applying ik boster on the mesh, I could then ik control the tree slightly.
Interesting, thank you.

Hello,

I created 'bones' in the 'layout'.
Question 1; do they have to be converted to 'skeleton' and why?
Question 2; the bones are not visible in the 'modeler'?

Thank you.
Hello glad to see a newcomer

Q1 you rig in layout although you can create a skeleton in modeler then convert it in layout you don't need at all to use Modeler to rig everything is in layout.

Simply send the model to layout then select it then press = this will add the (root) bone which is the parent to all other bones .

After adding root bone continue pressing = to add more bones.

To activate the bone make sure first they are reset to PBH 000 just press Shift + P this will freeze the bone and reset its transformation. (This is to avoid Gimbal lock).

Now select the bones then press r this will record bone position and activate the bone.

Last edited:
Back