Adding a data file to a DVD

Lee U

Old Timer
Situation: I edit sermons on VT5, encode on Tmpeg, and author on WS2 SE. I need to break this down on DVD with more than 20 Chapter points, at times more than 7 menus which I understand the full workshop 2 prog will do. I also want to be able to burn a data file of notes on that same DVD which I think the full WS2 will do by archiving. What gets me is, I downloaded a trial version and got a SE version which I just uninstalled to load the trial ver. Does anyone know how much better the full ver is over the SE and especially about the data file possibility? Thanks in advance. Lee

Well, the full version does allow you to put extra files on the DVD. For instance, I've used it for folders of still pictures.

I don't know what limitations the SE version has, I've never bothered to try it since I have the full version, but AFAIK, they are very close in capabilities.

Thanks Eugene, in other threads that you mentioned you were using WS 2, but I wasn't sure if you meant the full version or the SE. I can't find any indication of extra files embedded on video dvd. I have looked at TMPEG, encore, dvdlab, but i keep coming back to ulead because of it's simplicity and I'm happy with the results even with SE. Thanks again..Lee:)

It's under the advanced tab when you go to burn the disc in DVD WS 2.

I've always loved DVD WS 2, only thing is, there's no development being done on any future versions of it. :(

So because of that, I really can't recommend buying the full version.

Does the full version let you size the content to the disc?

I just read the end-of-development comment. What other DVD creation tools will work with RTV files?

Does the full version let you size the content to the disc?
You mean like the "Fit to Disc" in DVD Architect 4.5? No, nothing like that.

But note that you shouldn't use DVD Workshop 2 for your actual MPEG-2 encoding if you want good quality, you should do that elsewhere, such as in TMPGEnc. DVD Workshop 2 should only be used for the actual DVD authoring.

I just read the end-of-development comment. What other DVD creation tools will work with RTV files?
Well, RTV is really a legacy/proprietary Newtek SD-only format. So I wouldn't really recommend buying new software at this point just to support that. With the AVI Wrapper provided with VT[5] and SpeedEDIT, you can get projects into most AVI reading applications directly with no rendering or need for a native RTV reading ability.

I own VT4 and unless upgrading has become extremely affordable, VT5 is not an option. speedEDIT is almost $500. NewTek really doesn't offer a more affordable solution for VT4 users?

Though not as good as the latest version, the AVI Wrapper in VT[4] works for many other programs as well. It's just a bit more picky.

Or, you can always render out to a Type-2 DV AVI and use the project in any application. You really don't lose that much doing this.

Back