PDA

View Full Version : My 2DAnimation Features Wishlist

peter wassink
02-20-2003, 08:48 AM
thought i'd just put in all of my little and big requests at once.

the panning tool,
much used for the finetuning of my animation spacing, should on default have the antialias turned off!!!!
who switched that on?
(or one should at least be given the possibility to change the default setting)

the lighttable,
i'd like to have the possibility to choose which frames to switch on. i mean i want to be able to see my selected frame and a frame that is two frames removed without the lighttable showing me the two frames inbetween.(see picture(and don't mind the weird colors))

rotatable project window,
already mentioned in the old forum, it would make Aura the ultimate 2d animation software.

more control on the Keyframer,
i often use keyframer as a camera but it is very difficult to control, the controlled easing in or out of a zoom is not really possible,
maybe a separate camera tool would be an option

a connection button on the custombrush for direction.
this would allow me to draw with an animbrush that is putting down the brush-frames aligned along my drawing path.

simplifying brush rotation.
rotating a brush by holding the controlkey(for instance)when doing cut-out style animation. now it is awkward to have to go through some 3 mouseclicks in two different panels just to change the brush angle.
if this could be achieved it would, in one go, make Aura THE cut-out animationsoftware of choice.

... oh boy.. if all these wishes would come through....
me and Aura could live happily ever after :D
thanx & greetings
Peter

paulfierlinger
02-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Hi Peter,

the panning tool,
much used for the finetuning of my animation spacing, should on default have the antialias turned off!!!!

I agree and a few of us beta testers have brought this up with the developers.

the lighttable,
i'd like to have the possibility to choose which frames to switch on

I'm curious: when would you use this? At times I need to flip between just two distant images (and Range Finder in toolbox will do this), but on what occassions do you need 3 or more?

more control on the Keyframer,
i often use keyframer as a camera but it is very difficult to control, the controlled easing in or out of a zoom is not really possible,
maybe a separate camera tool would be an option

This, again, exists in the Restaurant toolbox. It's called Ease and it does the job very well.

a connection button on the custombrush for direction.
this would allow me to draw with an animbrush that is putting down the brush-frames aligned along my drawing path.

I would like such a feature as well! My work-around is to create custom made brushes in Toolbox, lined up in a row with altering directions.

simplifying brush rotation.
rotating a brush by holding the controlkey(for instance)

You might already be closer to being able to do this than you think. Create a hotkey "Layer: Create Key." Select "B" in KeyFramer (rotate). Hold "Ctrl" down as you hold RMB and drag mouse up and down.

... oh boy.. if all these wishes would come through....
me and Aura could live happily ever after :D

There's always a new wish in the future. I hate to sound like a salesman (because I'm not), but the Toolbox plugin is a 2D animator's best friend. I mean it when I say that I use one of the tools every 20 seconds.

Paul Fielinger :)

dhomas
02-20-2003, 10:54 AM
A clarification... When Paul says "exists in the Restaurant toolbox. It's called Ease"... he means the restaurant series of tools... not the product ToolBox. Ease and ToolBox are two different products.

And of course, the plugin Ease is the answer to your comment "controlled easing in or out of a zoom is not really possible". With Ease, it's VERY possible.

where do you go to get food for Aura and Video Toaster?
the restaurant of course. no reservation necessary.

http://restaurant.youngmonkey.ca

peter wassink
02-20-2003, 11:11 AM
hello Salesman..eh i mean Paul
thanks for replying

>>the lighttable,
>>i'd like to have the possibility to choose which frames to switch on
>I'm curious: when would you use this?

when i'm inbetweening an already timed animation,
say frame 1 and 5 are keys and i want to inbetween on frame 2
i'd like to be able in the lighttable to switch on just -1 and +3
without first having to temporarily cut frames or temporarily copy keyframe 5 to frame 3....
..well anyway it just seemed to be a pretty modest feature request

>This, again, exists in the Restaurant toolbox. It's called Ease and it does the job very well.

i'm sorry, i have to disagree, i bought Ease and it does allow a lot of extra control but to say it does this very well...it requires so much trial and error, and its so un-intuitive that its faster for me to switch over to a program like After Effects to get the desired effect.
Maybe/hopefully the new Ease 2 is better but unfortunately my graphicscard does not allow me to run Aura 2.5 :mad:$&@$@!!!

the toolbox does sound like a very usefull tool though

>You might already be closer to being able to do this than you >think. Create a hotkey "Layer: Create Key." Select "B" in >KeyFramer (rotate). Hold "Ctrl" down as you hold RMB and drag >mouse up and down.

nice one! this helps a lot!
only again.... almost the same thing as with the panning tool,
i wish the keyframer wouldn't by default switch off its preview!
Newtek please let me decide if it does this or not :)

thanx
peter

paulfierlinger
02-20-2003, 11:32 AM
Ease 2.0 is a big leap from Ease 1.0. It mirrors the KeyFramer interface and it has two graphs of the S curve which you can adjust by clicking anywhere in the S and reshaping the curve with a mouse drag -- it lets you forget about entering numbers. It saves the curves as well and I have found out that six shapes cover all my needs, so there wasn't any tweaking to do after creating those. Believe me, it's very intuitive now -- worth getting a new graphics card for.

Paul F.

dhomas
02-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Ease 2.0 is a major update to the original. Now you can see a visual cue (acceleration graph) of what the ease will do, you can frame accurately make changes in the ease, and the new multi-point graph editing very much simplifies the "curve" design process. Also, the ability to select Modes, means you can create ease, not only for KeyFramer, but many other Aura filters too.

And of course, as always, all users of Ease 1.0/1.1 received a free upgrade to Ease 2.0.

Ease 2.0 requires Aura 2.5b+ or Video Toaster [2] build 3866+

where do you go to get food for Aura and Video Toaster?
the restaurant of course. no reservation necessary.

http://restaurant.youngmonkey.ca