PDA

View Full Version : Clone from frames

Qslugs
02-18-2003, 10:32 PM
I am just getting into Aura and am wondering if Aura can do this. I want to clone from several frames ahead or several frames behind. Is this possible?? In Commotion, I believe there was a tool called supercloner in which you would chose how many frames ahead or behind you would be cloning from. I realize you can do something like this with the reveal mode, offsetting a copy of the layer you wish to clone from on the reveal sourcing layer. I would think that that would eat up too much ram with large clips. Anyway, so can this be done, and if not I would like to request it.

SBowie
02-19-2003, 12:40 PM
I'm not quite clear on your request. Are you referring to using pantograph painting from one frame into a neighbouring one, or simply copying image data from a frame or frame selection into neighbouring frames (or layers)? Or something else altogether?

Qslugs
02-19-2003, 01:16 PM
I guess what I am refering to is selcting how many frames back you want to soruce you pantograph from. So then you could say that you want to source from 3 frames ahead or 3 frames behind. This kind of thing is useful for retouching moving footage using a similarly blured source. Here's what the commotion quickstart pdf has to say (I found this useful in commotion):

Cloning and SuperCloning
Commotion offers two types of cloning. One type is similar to other paint
programs where you specify an area to copy from and clone to another region
of the frame. The other is called SuperClone.

A standard clone can be accomplished by choosing the rubber stamp tool and
holding down the Option key while you click on the location to clone from.
(Windows: use the Alt key.)
SuperClone can not only copy from that same frame but can copy from other clips or
other frames of the same clip. Double-click on the SuperClone button to bring up the
SuperClone window.

In each pop-up, specify a clip you would like to clone from. When you clone, the clone
source will come from the selected clip. Function keys can be used to switch clips. Turn
on the Display Source Overlay checkbox to see what you will be cloning from.
Double-click on the frame or position display to change these settings. Also, holding
down the Option and Shift keys allows you to move the clone source.
Cloning from the previous frame before is an easy way to get rid of dirt or single frame
problems.
If you have a non-moving camera shot, sometimes referred to as a clean-plate, you can
copy from this clip to remove objects, which were not included in your final shot.

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/dotMedia/CommotionDV/doc/commotion_quickStartGuide.pdf

Info from page 12.

Again, I don't know if there's some sort of patent on this kind of thing, but it would be cool to have in Aura.

mike

SBowie
02-19-2003, 07:08 PM
I like the idea, but at the moment there's nothing just like it in Aura. I'd like to write a bunch more about this but am rushed, so will simply say that here's a way to accomplish something similar in Aura right now, a psuedo-panto approach:

Duplicate the layer, and set the transparency of the upper layer to about 60%. Now offset the lower layer along the timeline a few frames, until the frame you want to 'panto' FROM is under the one you want to 'panto' TO. If you need to, pan the lower frame, or even the entire lower layer, lining up the source area beneath the upper layer. Switch to the airbrush tool, selecting Erase mode. Erase selected bits of the upper (TO) layer, revealing the 'transported' pixels beneath. Finally, raise the upper layer's transparency to 100% again, and merge.

If you need to 'reset' the 'mock panto' tool, duplicate the lower layer again, merge the upper two and, after panning the remaining lower frame/layer again to a new 'source' position, continue as before.

Not a perfect solution, but one way to get similar results. With a few keystroke commands setup, this could be fairly painless and quite flexible.

Qslugs
02-19-2003, 07:18 PM
Thanks Steve, you've been a great help both here and on the yahoogroups with my questions. As for the current question, I figured tha was the answer, however I am sure you would agree for extremely long clips that that wouldn't be that great of a solution. I guess you could work with smaller clips and render out only the problem areas. This was actually more of a wish/want list feature than an actual concern. Something I might like to see in future revisions of Aura.

mike

SBowie
02-20-2003, 11:42 AM
Yeah, I was just offering a bit of a workaround, but I do think the idea is interesting :)

Qslugs
02-20-2003, 04:50 PM
The Supercloner works fairly well in Commotion. Actually while were on the topic, I wish the Aura programmers would take a look at other programs like Commotion and Combustion and After Effects. Hopefully some of thoes other programs don't "look" at Aura too much though. If you know what I am talking about.