PDA

View Full Version : Elastic Reality type morphing

Qslugs
02-10-2003, 01:48 PM
I would love to see Elastic Reality type morphing from within Aura, or maybe even something like Liberty Paints morphing functionality. It seems that there aren't as many packages as there used to be that supported morphing. Maybe because the novelty finally wore off. Anyway, it would be cool to see morphing in Aura.

SBowie
02-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Qslugs
Anyway, it would be cool to see morphing in Aura.

All it would take to please me would be to increase the resolution of the Wrapping filter. It's basically the same thing...

evar
02-15-2003, 10:02 AM
I think this would be a very useful tool - I wouldnt use it to Morph anything though. Id use it to create intra/interpolated/in between frames for animation or video. Would be great for slow motion, or upping your framerate in 'cel type' animations - wouldnt you say?

-Evar

SBowie
02-15-2003, 12:18 PM
Have you tried the Wrapping Grid as it currently exists? The resolution might be adequate for theose things already.

Qslugs
02-15-2003, 09:42 PM
Yeah while the warping grid does work good, it isn't going to cut it for morphing. I think morphing would be possible and fast in Aura if it were available.

SBowie
02-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Qslugs
Yeah while the warping grid does work good, it isn't going to cut it for morphing.

Apart from increased resolution of the mesh, what would you like to see?

Qslugs
02-17-2003, 09:39 AM
Steve, have you used Elastic reality before? How about Liberty Paint? They both work with the same concept: Points attatched to splines and the splines travel through keyframes. You define how much of the image is being dissolved at what points in the animation/movie. The problem with the waping grid is that well, it's a grid. I can't remember much about Liberty Paint, but in Elastic reality the splines that you used to morph objects with, aren't attached to anything, and can be positioned anywhere on the frame. They're free floating. They could also be of any resolution (have as many points as they wanted). I believe Liberty Paint just used plain old points, but there must have been a spline attatching them, I can't remember offhand. The process went something like this: You make a curve on the "A" roll, then copy it over to the "B" Roll, adjust the poistion, attatch the curves so that ER knew that thoes were related, set the ease in and ease out, set additional keys for moving imagery. Then hit render. Of there was a problem you could just add more curves to lock down areas, and you could also cut out areas with the splines and move them around as chunks. Thats an oversimplification but tha's basically what it's about. While you're probabaly saying to yourself, this sounds like it can be done in Aura, I don't think it can do morphing, or rather if the warping grid can do morphing, it's going to take a whole bunch more steps to do the more complex stuff. Along with the curves in ER, there were plenty of other matting tools that worked along with the morphing/warping/compositing stuff. Aura I think has most of that stuff so I don't see too much of a problem on that end. I am glad to have the warping grids addition to the Aura toolbox. There was one of thoes in Afx's filter section for quite some time now that I used for all sorts of stuff. Other programs have had it as well. I am sure there is a way to do simple morphs with it, but the resolution of the grid that would be required to morph complex imagery, would make the grid for the most part unusable. While the Warping Grid works fine for what it is, which is a warping tool, I don't think it is possible to do complex morphing that would be possible in other morphing apps. Also I noticed that there are no tangent handles on the points on the grid, as well as no apparent way to reset any of the points if you screw up. Tangent handles on the spline points in elastic Reality were really great for adjusting the shape of the curve very quickly. Imagine Illustrator curves. So, what Aura needs for morphing is not a "Warping Grid". Aura needs unattatched spline curves with relationships on the "A and B roll". And while you can attatch copies of the warping grid from one layer to the next, dissolving the two layers to get a morph in Aura, you would be unable to easily morph several areas at different dissolve rates on the same two layers. That kind of thing I believe is very easily done in a program like Elastic Reality. This is all I can think of for now, if I can think of anything else later I'll add it up on this discussion later.

Here's some info on ER:

http://www.softimage.com/products/other/illusion/products/er/index.htm

http://www.softimage.com/products/other/illusion/products/er/specs.htm

http://www.softimage.com/products/other/illusion/products/er/warp2.htm

http://www.softimage.com/Products/Other/Illusion/products/er/er.htm

And here's info on Liberty Paint, however there is no mention about their morphing system, this app's been around for quite some time though:

http://www.libertydesigntools.com/products/libertyv8.html

SBowie
02-17-2003, 10:23 AM
Good points, thanks. To be honest, I wasn't thinking so much of morphing from one image to another as from one "position" to another, as for example in creating a "wink" or changing lip shape. Last time I bothered looking at morphing it was in the days of AdPro and IFX's morphing modules, and I appreciate your expanding on the subject :)

Qslugs
02-18-2003, 11:25 AM
So I guess what it comes down to, I would love to see spline based morphing in Aura. You would have a spline curve on layer a related to a spline curve on layer b generating a new effect over to layer c. Now, what I don't know is if Avid has any sort of patent on that type of process. It does seem to be the process that makes the most sense. However it may be one of thoes things that can't quite be patented, the process has been around for quite some time. Who knows, I can't find anything talking about the process over at the online pattent office site. Anyway... Along with that, I would like to see further refinement to the warping grid. What I would like to see in particular would be fitting the grid to a particular sized image (if the image being edited were smaller than full frame, ex.. having a huge border of alpha). What would be even cooler if the grid were able to figure out the shape of the alpha'ed image as well, evenly spacing the points over the entire shape. I would also like to see tangent handles on the grid points, and tools espically made for the warping grid so that you could group scale, rotate and move them easily. With that said, I hope that the people working on Aura don't just leave the warpnig grid as is, and actually improve upon it to make it a really great tool, instead of something that just works ok. Again, this is not to say that the warping grid is not good, I just think it can be even greater. Oh, one last thing, being able to move points in the z direction would be really cool as well, giving the viewer shading and lighting options.

invent
02-26-2003, 08:39 PM
A morphing option would be awesome like Elastic Reality... also a "Simple morph" would be nice ... like what was used in (Amiga - Brilliance 2, or Dpaint)

Here is a sample of morphing i created (years ago) in those programs...

http://www.inventivedreams.com/invent/free/images/invent_sprites005.png

Im not sure technically how it morphs but was very simple (as i didnt need to draw / position cages, splines etc

Qslugs
02-26-2003, 10:00 PM
Yeah, that there would be cool. Looks kinda like it does inbetweens. I bet that function was used for a ton of video game sprites.