PDA

View Full Version : Key-framable drawing tools

Mr.Intensity
03-09-2003, 01:11 PM
Suppose you did 70 drawings, but then you needed to change the line style of each of these drawings.

If one could change all 70 with say, several mouse-clicks, that would make Aura THE 2d animation software.

If there was an option to edit the individual line quality, that would make it even better!

NEwtek guys : good work, Aura is still very very good

SBowie
03-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Intensity
Suppose you did 70 drawings, but then you needed to change the line style of each of these drawings.

If one could change all 70 with say, several mouse-clicks, that would make Aura THE 2d animation software. Well -- to a point -- you can do that now. You can record your pen motion, then Undo and modify any drawing parameter you like, then re-apply the motion.

Mr.Intensity
03-10-2003, 11:39 AM
I never thought of it that way!

Would that mean you would save a different path for each drawing in the motion editor?

paulfierlinger
03-10-2003, 11:48 AM
I think Steve has in mind using the stroke recorder. If so, it wouldn't be too practicable. I have wondered about a feature like you mention myself, if you mean that you would draw a series of frames with the pen/brush and then, at a certain point you could change them all to look as if they were drawn with the pencil tool and of any profile setting you would choose. Is that it?

Paul Fierlinger

SBowie
03-10-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Mr.Intensity
I never thought of it that way!

Would that mean you would save a different path for each drawing in the motion editor? Clearly this has it's limitations, but yeah, you can to some degree create a motion (using any of several different methods) and then apply that with varied settings as many times as you like. The downside is that you either need to create the path perfectly in one go, or modify it in one way or another later.

SBowie
03-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by paulfierlinger
I think Steve has in mind using the stroke recorder. If so, it wouldn't be too practicable. Well, it does have applications, but you're correct it's not exactly what the post asked about. That's why I said "to a degree"... There is more to Aura's motion path handling than at first meets the eye, however. Motion paths can be created in a variety of ways, and readily tweaked after the initial creation before application. You're not at all limited to the original path, such as that captured with the Stroke Recorder. And then, as mentioned, one can modify pen & connection settings at will.

Originally posted by paulfierlinger
I have wondered about a feature like you mention myself, if you mean that you would draw a series of frames with the pen/brush and then, at a certain point you could change them all to look as if they were drawn with the pencil tool and of any profile setting you would choose. Is that it? To do this without saving motion files as you went would basically require the software to record all of your pointer movements (along with pen settings) for the duration of a session. I have seen this implemented before, so I don't suppose it's entirely unreasonable to hope for (though I wouldn't want to be holding my breath waiting ) :-p

What I would REALLY love to see included in Aura (since I don't have anything like your ability, Paul) is the sort of analytical ability found in Studio Artist (http://www.synthetik.com/). I'd love to be able to run that over video as an Aura filter.

Mr.Intensity
03-11-2003, 07:47 AM
Thanks for your suggestions guys....

Yeah I tried the stroke recorder and this technique does work, but it takes a terribly long time to do.

What I would like to see in Aura is more vectorable-ish tools.
When I say that I was thinking of what's available in Toonboom Studio 2.0., you can edit every aspect of your line, with points like you'd see on Adobe Illustrator.
The only thing ToonBoom surprisingly can't do is edit 70 drawings' lines in one shot, just one at a time -- which is why it would be cool if Aura could do this, maybe in a faster manner.

I guess I could try and make a george script, but for now

Thanks again guys, and Newtek