PDA

View Full Version : Dongle or no dongle

Philbert
08-02-2012, 06:27 PM
For those who don't know yet, LightWave 11.0.3 does not require a dongle. According to the docs you can choose to use it or not use it. So the question is, why would I choose to use the dongle if I don't need to? The only reason I can find is if you want to run LW from a USB flash drive.

Lito
08-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmm how do bought plugins work if the dongle is not in?

Philbert
08-02-2012, 07:15 PM
According to the licensing PDF on the Account page they still work.

lesterfoster
08-02-2012, 07:16 PM
Hmm how do bought plugins work if the dongle is not in?

I have the same question

Philbert
08-02-2012, 07:25 PM
Read my response above.

lesterfoster
08-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Sorry. I replied just to see that you responded just 1 min before me. Sorry

Philbert
08-02-2012, 07:50 PM
Understood, I just did want you to miss the answer.

wesleycorgi
08-02-2012, 08:04 PM
The docs say that 3rd party plugs will work if the developer used the SDK and not their own proprietary reg system.

DigitalSorcery8
08-02-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd say it depends on how they go about it. If it's like Modo's licensing scheme - VERY lenient - then great. I could still load LW on any machine and just use it on THAT machine.

I just hope it doesn't screw up any plugins. I'd be interested to hear what Mike Wolf has to say about it.

Philbert
08-02-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh I see. I missed the part about the SDK. I'm not sure I personally have any plugins that are dongle locked. Is LWCad one? I assume you can always just pop in the dongle if you do have a problem.

Creativetone
08-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Hi! I am using following plugins:
LWCAD 4.191 beta, TrueArts Modeling Pack, db&w's shaderMeister, exrTrader, RopeEditor Plus, Liberty3D QuadPanels 1.5 and quickBolt.
All those seems to work just fine with new licensing system without Dongle.

Philbert
08-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Glad to hear it!

One thing I noticed about the new license, If I'm reading it right you can no longer have more than one copy of LW running on different computers on the network. Which makes sense although I did often use this to aid in rendering. Like if I had a 150 frame scene i might render on one computer 1-100 then on another one 150-100 (backwards) License wise this is really just the same as using Screamernet, but just a little quicker to set up sometimes if since there's no network stuff to worry about and Screamernet is kind of a pain without a controller like BNR.

ShadowMystic
08-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Glad to hear it!

One thing I noticed about the new license, If I'm readying it right you can no longer have more than one copy of LW running on different computers on the network. Which makes sense although I did often use this to aid in rendering. Like if I had a 150 frame scene i might render on one computer 1-100 then on another one 150-100 (backwards) License wise this is really just the same as using Screamernet, but just a little quicker to set up sometimes if since there's no network stuff to worry about and Screamernet is kind of a pain without a controller like BNR.

Technically it is NOT. Unless you own two licenses, having two copies running is a breach of the EULA. You are exploiting the dongle by removing it after launch to launch another.

JonW
08-02-2012, 11:10 PM
Glad to hear it!

One thing I noticed about the new license, If I'm readying it right you can no longer have more than one copy of LW running on different computers on the network. Which makes sense although I did often use this to aid in rendering. Like if I had a 150 frame scene i might render on one computer 1-100 then on another one 150-100 (backwards) License wise this is really just the same as using Screamernet, but just a little quicker to set up sometimes if since there's no network stuff to worry about and Screamernet is kind of a pain without a controller like BNR.

I've run it on a few machines together & a few instances because Screamernet has spat the dummy! But it has always been for the one project and one person. I would like to see Screamernet made a lot easier. Even some clear language in the manual would be helpful!

Philbert
08-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Technically it is NOT. Unless you own two licenses, having two copies running is a breach of the EULA. You are exploiting the dongle by removing it after launch to launch another.

Yes technically. But if you're only rendering the same projecton multiple machines then realistically it's the same thing as using Screamernet. Perhaps an update to Screamernet will come and this won't be necessary.

shrox
08-02-2012, 11:40 PM
...You are exploiting the dongle by removing it after launch to launch another.

Don't talk about Fight Club!!!

DigitalSorcery8
08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Yes technically. But if you're only rendering the same projecton multiple machines then realistically it's the same thing as using Screamernet. Perhaps an update to Screamernet will come and this won't be necessary.

:i_agree: I would think it would be fine and others here have used it in the same manner. I've found screamer net a pain to set up and hope that they will SOON update it and make it "point and click" easy! :)

sublimationman
08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Maybe this is why my tries to get a replacement for my 'melted' dongle have failed.

Serling
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
For those who don't know yet, LightWave 11.0.3 does not require a dongle. According to the docs you can choose to use it or not use it. So the question is, why would I choose to use the dongle if I don't need to? The only reason I can find is if you want to run LW from a USB flash drive.

Avid went dongle-less a couple of years ago with version 4 of Media Composer. I still use my dongle for two reasons: it still works and I don't want to mess with internet activation. It's not that the latter is all that much of a hassle, it's just that using the dongle is no hassle at all. Plug. Play. Forget.

I'll probably do the same with LightWave's dongle. No big deal to me either way.

Lightwolf
08-03-2012, 12:51 AM
I just hope it doesn't screw up any plugins. I'd be interested to hear what Mike Wolf has to say about it.

It works. :)

To be more elaborate, the LW dev team has asked third parties prior to the change what we'd like to see and what is important to use. Effectively, the dongle-less mode still reports a unique lock ID through the SDK. And that in turn is used for various third parties in their licensing system.

Cheers,
Mike

Dexter2999
08-03-2012, 01:23 AM
It's not that the latter is all that much of a hassle, it's just that using the dongle is no hassle at all. Plug. Play. Forget.

I like the dongle as well so don't get me wrong, but "Plug. Play. Forget." can easily turn to "Lost. Panic. Cry." ("Cry" could also be replaced with "Curse"...most likely an expletive beginning with the letter "F")

Philbert
08-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Avid went dongle-less a couple of years ago with version 4 of Media Composer. I still use my dongle for two reasons: it still works and I don't want to mess with internet activation. It's not that the latter is all that much of a hassle, it's just that using the dongle is no hassle at all. Plug. Play. Forget.

I'll probably do the same with LightWave's dongle. No big deal to me either way.

LightWave 11.0.3 doesn't really have an internet activation from what I could tell. You download a license.key file from the same place you download LightWave, then open Layout and drag that file onto it.

DigitalSorcery8
08-03-2012, 02:22 AM
It works. :)

To be more elaborate, the LW dev team has asked third parties prior to the change what we'd like to see and what is important to use. Effectively, the dongle-less mode still reports a unique lock ID through the SDK. And that in turn is used for various third parties in their licensing system.

Cheers,
Mike

Excellent!

Well then... I'm onboard. :)

And it's good to know that the LW dev team is actually talking to third parties - seems like a nice change.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Jim M
08-03-2012, 04:21 AM
LW will still maintain machine IDs etc so plugins will still be able to reference required data for plugin licensing. Thats my definitive sounding guess.

[this was refering to several posts back, but you guys are all quick on the posting draw...]

Cageman
08-03-2012, 04:40 AM
I would like to see Screamernet made a lot easier. Even some clear language in the manual would be helpful!

I've said this before... Screamernet is probably the easiest network-rendering solution to setup and use... and I'm talking about the native solution, not using any third party plugins or renderfarm controllers.

I'll see if I can take some time on Sunday/Monday to do a videotutorial on the subject (PC, Windows 7). :)

BeeVee
08-03-2012, 05:17 AM
If you want easier than Screamernet I urge you to try Amleto (http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/). It only needs to be installed on the machines you want it on and it's open source and free.

B

dsol
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
If you want easier than Screamernet I urge you to try Amleto (http://virtualcoder.co.uk/amleto/). It only needs to be installed on the machines you want it on and it's open source and free.

B

If only there was an OSX version... :(

EDIT: Though as it's open-source, any OSX-savvy coders interested in doing a port? I will chuck in 50bucks/pounds/euros to get the ball rolling if interested?

Philbert
08-03-2012, 02:32 PM
If only there was an OSX version... :(

EDIT: Though as it's open-source, any OSX-savvy coders interested in doing a port? I will chuck in 50bucks/pounds/euros to get the ball rolling if interested?

I have Amleto and it wouldn't render correctly for me. After posting the problem I learned there is no solution now (or at least not a couple months ago when I asked).

cagey5
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I've lost track of the number of times I've booted Lightwave in discovery mode because I've taken the dongle out to use the USB port for something else. Not a big deal to restart it after plugging the dongle back in but sooo much easier now to not even have to worry about it at all.

geo_n
08-04-2012, 07:20 AM
I would like to see Screamernet made a lot easier. Even some clear language in the manual would be helpful!

Since I think you're using windows you could try backburner. There's an installer on the autodesk website. Its the easiest and most complete bundled render controller even support a multitude of renderers and compositing packages.
The script to render from within layout is also the most convenient way to render with nodes. No need to load scenes manually looking thru subfolders and finding that scenefile. Zardoz even calls it a a life changer. :D

wesleycorgi
08-04-2012, 07:31 AM
There is Backburner for Mac. I've download after the recent forum discussion but didn't get a chance to run through the documents to configure.

cagey5
08-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Just another thought for Linux users.

My biggest problem with getting Lightwave to run under Wine was the difficulty in trying to get it to recognise the presence of the dongle.

I haven't got Wine installed any more since I upgraded, but has anybody tried this yet to see whether it's no longer a problem?

Greenlaw
08-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Finally installed 11.0.3 on my tablet PC and tried the new 'dongle-free' option. It works! No internet connection required, just drag and drop your new 11.0.3 key file once and your set. This is awesome! Will try this with our workstations when I get home tonight.

Running Win 7 Pro, btw. My understanding is that it will not work with XP and earlier but you can still use the dongle if you choose.

G.

Phil
08-06-2012, 08:13 PM

My biggest problem with getting Lightwave to run under Wine was the difficulty in trying to get it to recognise the presence of the dongle.

I haven't got Wine installed any more since I upgraded, but has anybody tried this yet to see whether it's no longer a problem?

I tried under OS X and just got a bunch of OpenGL related errors from WINE.

VonBon
08-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Don't talk about Fight Club!!!

:lol:

Philbert
08-06-2012, 11:32 PM
Running Win 7 Pro, btw. My understanding is that it will not work with XP and earlier but you can still use the dongle if you choose.

The question is now, what about XP users who buy 12? Will they get a dongle?

CaptainMarlowe
08-06-2012, 11:42 PM
I tried under OS X and just got a bunch of OpenGL related errors from WINE.

IN my experience, Wine runs a lot better in LInux than in OS X. When I still had a laptop running under linux, I managed to use Lightwave, thing I never got to do in Wine for OS X, even with PlayOnMaC or Winebottler that are supposed to help you.
This said, customizing Wine for Lightwave to accept the dongle was really complicated. I haven't linux any more, so I can't test, now.

archiea
08-07-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey gang, so let me understand this... LW now runs without a dongle?

I have an old copy of 9.6, using the old dongle system that needed to be upgraded. I had used a power PC mac on an ancient usb dongle. The new intel macs needed a new physical dongle and drivers to run LW... I never got around to updating it. Now I was looking to get back in LW.. Can I upgrade to LW 11 without needed to swap out dongles? Just upgrade, get new reg key based on old reg info and then I;m ready to go?

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 02:04 AM
It's mentioned in 11.0.3 addendum that one of the advantages to the 'dongle-less' system is that you can purchase 11.0.3 online and start using it immediately without waiting for a physical dongle to arrive--that's good news for most new users, but if the user wants to run 11.0.3 on xp or if he wants to run Lightwave from a USB stick then he need to get the dongle. The docs also say user will have the option to purchase Lightwave with a dongle. Not sure if that means the dongle comes at extra cost or not.

I'm guessing that by 12, the dongle will become an optional purchase like it is with some other software. (Like Headus UVLayout for example, and some audio plug-ins I use.)

FWIW, I deeply appreciate not having to attach the dongle to my tablet. If I wasn't already running Win 7 on it, I would be upgrading tomorrow just to be able to do this.

G.

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 02:15 AM
BTW, LWCAD 4.1 license is broken for me now. I'm guessing I need a new LWCAD key because the activation panel is reporting a different hardware number from previous activations (it's reporting the 'correct' hardware number now.) Hopefully I'll hear from WTools soon.

G.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 02:18 AM
Going to download 11.3 and install later today, if I get 10 mins.

One advantage I will gain from the non-dongle approach is being able to remote desktop into my main power rig PC and start layout and set of a render. Before I had to start layout with the single in, leave the PC running and remote in.

Ricky.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 02:38 AM
BTW, LWCAD 4.1 license is broken for me now. I'm guessing I need a new LWCAD key because the activation panel is reporting a different hardware number from previous activations (it's reporting the 'correct' hardware number now.) Hopefully I'll hear from WTools soon.

G.

I know Viktor sent out an email with a 11.0.3 compatibility fix. You may need to contact him.

---------------------------------
Dear betatesters.

As some of you already know, NewTek surprised us with sudden compatibility issue with latest LightWave 11.0.3.
I would like ask you to try latest LWCAD 4.191 beta and LWCAD 3.62.
Both version should be compatible with latest LightWave 11.0.3.

If anybody has any problem with protection, please let me know asap.
Please report me even if there is no problem, so I can send feedback to NewTek.
Please let me know back specially if you are MAC user and using LWCAD 3.x.

----------------------------------

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 02:56 AM
Cool! Thanks for the tip.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Huh... On my desktop Layout works without the Dongle but Modeler does not, I only get Discovery mode for Modeler. I tried dropping the license file on it again. It said it was accepted, I restarted all of LW including the hub, and still Discovery Mode. On my laptop both work fine with no dongle.

Edit Oh wait never mind. I had left Layout running on my laptop. That sucks.

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Got LWCAD 4.x working dongle-free with the open beta version of the plug-in. Yay! :)

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 03:28 AM
Edit Oh wait never mind. I had left Layout running on my laptop. That sucks.
Yeah, that might be inconvenient if you're used to working that way. I have to admit I sometimes do the same at home when I'm moving from room to room (workstation back in the computer room to tablet PC in the living room or at the dinner table.) Technically though, you're really not supposed to do that.

I think can live with this change. For me, not having to worry about losing or breaking the dongle makes this little 'feature' sacrifice worth it. :p

G.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 03:29 AM
@greenlaw - cool. Glad it's working. Now go check out some of the new goodies in LWCAD beta (quad mapper UV - nice for arch viz)

@Phil: Glad it's working, had me worried there. I take it 11.0.3 just uses your current configs from the .Netwek folder? No need to reinstall all menus and plugins again?

Philbert
08-07-2012, 03:36 AM
So... How does one get into this mysterious LWCad beta?

@Phil: Glad it's working, had me worried there. I take it 11.0.3 just uses your current configs from the .Netwek folder? No need to reinstall all menus and plugins again?

Yeah I just overwrote 11.0.2 with 0.3.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 03:48 AM
So... How does one get into this mysterious LWCad beta?

I subscribed to the LWCAD open beta mailing list last November when I upgraded to 4.1. Send Viktor and email, I'm sure the more testers, the happier he will be.

BeeVee
08-07-2012, 03:49 AM
If you have LWCAD 4, just go to your account on the WTools site.

B

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 03:50 AM
I pointed my 11.0.3 shortcuts to my custom config folder which I keep in the Lightwave directory--this preserved all my plug-ins, menus and other custom settings from 11.0.2.

So far everything seems to work fine in 'dongle-free' mode.

DogBoy
08-07-2012, 03:58 AM

If memory serves (because I can't find the requirements for 11 on the new site) XP wasn't supported for LW11.0. So by using it on XP you don't meet the minimum requirements set by Newtek and are therefore are on your own. In reality, I'm pretty sure NT will try and help, but won't give any guarantees.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 04:08 AM
If memory serves (because I can't find the requirements for 11 on the new site) XP wasn't supported for LW11.0. So by using it on XP you don't meet the minimum requirements set by Newtek and are therefore are on your own. In reality, I'm pretty sure NT will try and help, but won't give any guarantees.

Yep, that's what the response was on another thread. Non-dongleless 11.0.3 will only work on Win7, but will still work with the dongle in XP.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 04:21 AM
If you have LWCAD 4, just go to your account on the WTools site.

B

I don't, I have 3.6 I guess, last version before you had pay to upgrade again.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 04:26 AM
I don't, I have 3.6 I guess, last version before you had pay to upgrade again.

Phil - I think he's fixed 3.6 too. "I would like ask you to try latest LWCAD 4.191 beta and LWCAD 3.62." - so I'd suggest logging into your LWCAD account and seeing if you can get hold of 3.62.

Ricky.

Philbert
08-07-2012, 04:41 AM
Right, that's why I asked about the beta, I thought it was still a beta version. BTW I feel dumb now i discovered the beta mailing list sign up on the site.

What I have not discovered is... How to log in and download the latest. It's been a while but I don't remember any account to log in to.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Right, that's why I asked about the beta, I thought it was still a beta version. BTW I feel dumb now i discovered the beta mailing list sign up on the site.

What I have not discovered is... How to log in and download the latest. It's been a while but I don't remember any account to log in to.

I usually go to the products and download section of the wtools3d site. However, I've checked, and can't see a 3.62 download link.

Once you have the link, use email and serial number (which you can get from your option panel inside of LW).

You may need to contact Viktor.

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 05:14 AM
Phil - check your PMs ;)

Philbert
08-07-2012, 05:32 AM
Phil - check your PMs ;)

Thanks! :)

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
Ok, install LW11.0.3 with no problems yet.

Here's what I did:

1. took out dongle
2. ran installer
3. placed LWK licence file in .NewTek\LightWave\11.0\licenses folder

Now before, what I use to do was remote into the main render PC and set a render running in layout. Remove donlge, then on my laptop insert dongle so I could still be getting on with modeling in Modeler.

Dongleless version will not allow this, it must be able to detect two version running across the home/office network. So to be able to still model and render on separate machines, I have to turn off the wi-fi on the laptop. Which isn't a biggy and still allows me to get on with some work.

Ztreem
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Love the dongle free version, but I hate that I can't run modeler and layout at the same time. This must be a bug? Anyone else have this problem?

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 09:42 AM
Love the dongle free version, but I hate that I can't run modeler and layout at the same time. This must be a bug? Anyone else have this problem?

Just to clarify... I can open modeler and layout together on the same machine.

zapper1998
08-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Worley Labs Plugins DO NOT work with the new System.... dang it

Waves of light
08-07-2012, 11:42 AM

Michael, does is still work if you run it with the dongle in?

DogBoy
08-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Michael, does is still work if you run it with the dongle in?

it works for me if i have the dongle in.

Ztreem
08-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Just to clarify... I can open modeler and layout together on the same machine.

Ok, I can't. Must be something wrong with my license or install then. :compbeati

wtdedula
08-07-2012, 04:39 PM
Hi All;
I'd like to know what I have to do to get Lightwave 11 to work without a dongle. I just upgraded from Lightwave 10 when it was initially offered and never knew (at the time) I had a dongle-less option. Though now when I remove the dongle I get the Disovery Edition in both modeler and layout.

While I like using the dongle because it easily allows me to share my work between several workstations, the dongle also scares me beause I once had it fail in my Computer Room at home and now I'm so paranoid that I never use it there anymore.

Would be curious to know what I have to do to get my version of LW 11 on Windows Vista to run without a dongle. Would also be curious if or how I could still use on several workstations such as in my computer room at home and my laptop without the dongle. Thanks.

Tim

BeeVee
08-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Hey Tim,

You have to be running 11.0.3 from your account on www.lightwave3d.com and you need to download the license.lwk file from there too.

B

Greenlaw
08-07-2012, 06:19 PM
Would be curious to know what I have to do to get my version of LW 11 on Windows Vista to run without a dongle. Would also be curious if or how I could still use on several workstations such as in my computer room at home and my laptop without the dongle.
Just to add to what's already been said, I believe you need to actually run the SP3 installer on any computer where you want run LW without the dongle...no more simply copying an existing LW install from another computer--for that you still need the dongle.

Also, you can run dongle-less on any computer but you can only run one copy at a time. Lightwave does check the local network to make sure this requirement isn't violated (accidentally or otherwise.)

G.

wtdedula
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
Hey Tim,

You have to be running 11.0.3 from your account on www.lightwave3d.com and you need to download the license.lwk file from there too.

B

Thanks - This worked great and I can now run LW on my system in my computer room without fear of my dongle getting zapped.

Thanks Newtek for implementing a dongle-less licensing scheme.

Phil
08-08-2012, 09:24 AM

Worley's protection schemes are infamous; I guess he has the SDK and talks directly to the dongle in various ways.

BigHache
08-11-2012, 08:27 AM

I had a box sitting aside with no OS so I thought I would give this a try. I installed Fedora 17 and got all the latest updates and installed Wine 1.5.9. For both Layout and Modeler I get so far as to see the program and splash screen start up for a second then it just quits. So as far as I can tell this is not a straight install and go, something else needs to happen. I do not know if this is a Fedora thing, or maybe the Wine version. I'm probably not going to do much more testing though as I don't have time and I have no idea if I would even have success.