PDA

View Full Version : Airplay Question

cuspclub
09-16-2011, 11:45 AM
I haven't installed the new update that enables Airplay support on the TCXD300 yet, but I do have a question.

Would it be possible to use an iPad to play 1920x1080i commercials during a show via Airplay? Will an iPad be able to play full HD content? If so, does anyone know the file specs?

cuspclub
09-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Bump...

Or if not an iPad, how about a Windows or Mac laptop with some 1080i and Airplay compatible software? Just thinking out loud...

Zane Condren
09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
Airplay only supports video up to 720p.

ACross
09-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Actually, TriCaster's implementation of AirPlay has no resolution limits :) But you might find that iTunes will refuse to upload a video to your iOS device if it is not compliant with the profile supported for playback on that device itself.

Andrew

cuspclub
09-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Maybe someone with some app writing experience and a Tricaster background will come up with a cool custom app for production people like us. Lot of potential here :jam:

ACross
09-26-2011, 09:12 PM
I can tell you that we have some very cool technology coming in this area ...

cuspclub
09-26-2011, 09:14 PM
I had a feeling...

digiview
09-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Ok I will put my hand up, read the manual on air play change the newtwork setting as sugessted. I can't get my iPad or iphone to appear on net1, I only have basic knowledge on iPhone/iPad's.

Is there a thirteen year old geek that an help?

gameguyag
09-27-2011, 01:07 AM
Same here. We tried multiple iOS devices and could not get them to show up in the Tricaster. We also could not get the devices to see the Tricaster as an airplay device. We had them all on the same network and had firewall off.

DCvision
09-27-2011, 07:35 AM
I had no trouble with my iTouch... load a video (either from youtube or something internal to the device) and while playing you'll see a square with an arrow in it ... (almost looks like an inverted envelope) and from there you can choose which net input to connect to.... pretty instant, and audio quality is very good.

Sound Man
09-27-2011, 01:24 PM
We just upgraded our 850 and had the same problem. Ipad-2 shows that it is streaming to the 850 on either net 1 or 2 which ever is selected but no picture and no selection in the drop down box. If a pc is using IVGA it does appear. If it is selected then the Ipad loses the assignment to that net selection but does not go back to display on the device. We tried 2 different IPad-2's and an Iphone with the same results. :tcicon:

Also, what happend to underscan on the net inputs? This was really needed when a pc shows up with a odd size of output display.

Bob

gameguyag
09-29-2011, 02:18 PM
We just did another test with an ipad 1 and an iphone 4. Neither of them get the little airplay icon when a video is played from the video app or youtube. The Tricaster is hard wired to the same network that the devices are connected to via wifi. The Net 1 and Net2 have the little airplay drop down but no devices ever show up. I have turned off firewall on the router and the tricaster and still nothing. What version of iOS are people running that have had success. According to Apple's support, it only needs to have 4.2 running

kltv
09-29-2011, 02:59 PM
I haven't had any trouble with it using the YouTube app on my iPhone 4 using 4.3.5.

The source doesn't show up in the drop down menu like LiveText or iVGA. It just feeds in as long as the "Receive" icon and text are selected in the NET inputs.

Kris

ACross
09-29-2011, 03:12 PM
The first step is to check that they really are on the same network and can see each-other. What I would do is take your iPod/iPad/iPhone and use this link to get your IP address :
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=496

Now ping the iOS device from the computer and check that they can see each-other. Next switch your device in and out of Airplane mode since this will make sure that it flushes it's "AirPlay" hosts list (iOS is really bad at this.)

If they can and AirPlay still does not see each-other double check that you are using content and an app that does not have DRM enabled on the media. A good test is the YouTube app that works for almost every clip no matter what.

Finally, one other thing to try is just use iTunes on another computer and see if that works.

Andrew

ACross
09-29-2011, 03:16 PM
What version of iOS are people running that have had success. According to Apple's support, it only needs to have 4.2 running

I have used almost every Apple device across all versions of iOS since 4.0 and really had no problems. For me it has always "magically" worked ... although I actually cannot always say the same for my AppleTV via AirPlay actually ;)

SBowie
09-30-2011, 05:18 AM
I just want to add that we're attempting to replicate this connection issue, and will report here if we find anything.

gameguyag
10-03-2011, 05:35 PM
I am very happy to report we finally got airplay to work. Here is the issue, in the location we were trying to get it to work, the network is 8 down 1.4 up and the wireless is a regular belkin type router. While on location at a stage in Hollywood, airplay instantly recognized the Tricaster as a device and played FLAWLESSLY, WOW! Great feature. The facility has a 36 meg up and down pipe with what I assume is a very good wireless router/access point. I think we'll try using a repeater near our tricaster to see if we can improve the signal quality. I am pretty sure those not getting this to work simply don't have a great signal or enough bandwidth. I guess it's better for the Tricaster to say no, instead of having it work with really bad quality. Thank you everyone for your input!

PIZAZZ
10-04-2011, 08:15 AM
I am very happy to report we finally got airplay to work. Here is the issue, in the location we were trying to get it to work, the network is 8 down 1.4 up and the wireless is a regular belkin type router.
Up and down speed has no relevance on Airplay working or not. The quality of the wireless access point (in your case the belkin router) is the largest factor. Buy a higher quality dedicated access point or a dual band wireless router like a Cisco/Linksys. A dedicated access point is the best route and only let your iOS device attach to it. Nothing else. You can plug that access point into any hard line input and hop on their network. I have been using a $80 Engenius Access Point with great success. I will have to look up the model number. On the wireless router side, we use a Cisco/Linksys dual band version with gigabit onboard. We setup the 5ghz side for the iOS devices only to minimize traffic congestion.

I guess it's better for the Tricaster to say no, instead of having it work with really bad quality. Thank you everyone for your input !

This is not the TriCaster. This is the iOS device. The iPad wifi implementation is really terrible. My iPhone connects easily and stays connected much better than the iPad. It has to do with Apple's firmware implementations to conserve battery life as much as possible. Their firmware will turn off the iPad wifi radio as soon as it can just to save a little battery. This is something even jailbreaking can't defeat. So best thing you can do is try to minimize traffic on the connection and keep fondling the ipad to keep it up and operating.

csandy
10-04-2011, 10:18 AM
It should be noted that illegal use of "jammers" in the U.S. is common place, so your mileage may vary using WiFi frequencies in hotels, airports, conference centers, etc. I've even seen a large national hotel/conference vendor put in their contract that they will use jamming equipment, which 1) is rather bold; 2) shows their ignorance of the law [I'd hope]; and 3) clearly against the law. See http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/jammerenforcement/

But the reality is, it's being used - so plan for it. You cannot rely on unlicensed spectrum (WiFi) to get a signal to your TriCaster. Period.

I was at a luxry hotel in New York and was trying to use a top-of-the-line Cisco Dual band wireless router. It wasn't a cheap device so I returned it as defective. I later discovered that the hotel was jamming the signal.

If you encounter this, complain: http://www.fcc.gov/complaints. The FCC takes this seriously, and it WILL impact your streaming business.

SBowie
10-05-2011, 06:49 AM
OK, everyone out there who has been struggling with this and is running a LinkSys/Cisco dual band router raise your right hand. (The rest of you can carry on).

I had a couple of routers here that I have used for testing over the years ... an workhorse old LinkSys WRT54G that would light up the whole neighbourhood, an old Netgear G, and a newer Cisco WRT610N dual band. When documenting Airplay earlier, I had the 54G set up as a subnet (too many machines in my office for the 610N's four ports). Recently, thanks to cutting down on the number of wired connections, I was able to eliminate the subnet. As it happened, a family member needed a router, so I gave away the 54G. The Netgear had gone in a yard sale a while back.

This is all to explain why, when it came time recently for some Airplay screenshots, I had to rely on the WRT610N. And I simply could not get it to connect. I tried this. I tried that. I tried everything else. I hit the web hunting for Airplay connection issues. I learned more about something that should 'just work' than I ever cared to. Then, frustrated, I sniveled and whined until I got the guys in engineering to spend long parts of several days going through every possible router option with me. Nada.

After that, just yesterday, one of them reported that he'd discovered something about this particular router (that might or might not be unique to routers of this type). The 610N is a dual band router. On this router, at least, Airplay will only connect using the first wireless band. Again, it will not connect using the second ... which explained my problem. The first wireless band is always 5gHz (can't be changed), and my iPod Touch does not 'see' 5gHz wireless networks. A newer device, say an iPad2 too probably would, but not my iPod. So I have always been trying to connect on the second wireless network.

The upshot is, my setup simply would not work. I ran out last night and bought an el cheapo ($40) 2.4gHz N router (a D-Link, as it happens), connected it to the 610N as a subnet, and plugged my TC into it. Voila, the end, Eureka, bonsoir and danke schone ...

As much as I have often wished I'd never bought the 610N (don't get me going), I suspect I am not the only one who did. It was a pretty popular router, and it has a lot of dual band siblings. I suspect some of you with persistent problems are in the same boat I was, and I hope this helps. I was beginning to think I'd never get it going again, and now I'm wandering around marveling at how cool this is and humming that old Monkey's tune ("I'm a believer ...")

PIZAZZ
10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Glad you figured it out Steve.

I had a link-sys router issue at home where the network traffic was always over saturated. With only a Media Center PC and an xbox 360 attached via wired inputs I couldn't get video to stream from one to the other. This was gigabit wired even. Took all the wireless off still nothing. Finally went out and bought a newer model and all problems went away. Proof also that routers just wig out sometimes.

Auman
10-05-2011, 08:36 AM
We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2. I select "receive" but no audio or video comes through. (I made sure the content was not protected). We tried connecting the Tricaster to a wide open wireless router and made sure the iPad was connected to the same router. That configuration was the only way the iPad could see the Tricaster as an AirPlay output. We switched the network setting on the Tricaster to "Home". Nothing seems to work. I know we are close but can't figure out what else to try. **bangs head on rock** Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is that I am running the latest iOS 5 beta on the iPad. HELP!!!

ACross
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2. I select "receive" but no audio or video comes through. (I made sure the content was not protected). We tried connecting the Tricaster to a wide open wireless router and made sure the iPad was connected to the same router. That configuration was the only way the iPad could see the Tricaster as an AirPlay output. We switched the network setting on the Tricaster to "Home". Nothing seems to work. I know we are close but can't figure out what else to try. **bangs head on rock** Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of that may be an issue is that I am running the latest iOS 5 beta on the iPad. HELP!!!

I would certainly not run a beta OS to test with ...

PIZAZZ
10-05-2011, 08:41 AM

Hate to state the obvious, You are choosing one of the Airplay channels to play out to on the Ipad interface right?

SBowie
10-05-2011, 08:51 AM
We updated our 850 and can now get the Tricaster to show up on my iPad but the Tricaster doesn't show anything other than "receive" in the dropdown on Net 1 & 2.This may not be the cause, but this is exactly what will happen if the content you're trying to play has DRM protection.

Auman
10-13-2011, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the pointers guys. I installed iOS5 (public release) yesterday and now everything works magically. I also updated my AppleTV device firmware and have to admit, the wireless screen mirroring to HDTV feature is great!
Are there any plans to upgrade the Tricaster's AirPlay capabilities to allow full wireless screen mirroring instead of just pics, tunes, and vids? We are trying to get to the point where our onscreen show hosts can implement live social media elements into the show. If the host could use an iPad to browse Twitter/facebook it would be great to be able to take the iPad screen wirelessly as a video source.
I realize that this is already a possibility using an AppleTV device feeding an HDMI signal into an HDMI to HD-SDI converter and then running that feed into the TC as a source. I am just trying to avoid buying the converter if an update will take care of this a week after I buy it.

SBowie
10-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I am just trying to avoid buying the converter if an update will take care of this a week after I buy it.There's also the advantage of not tying up another video input. :)

dkinskey
11-03-2011, 11:47 AM
I have an XD300; reading the manual for the 300, 14.2 talks about getting airplay, selecting the apple device in the source menu for the net input....but, that is not happening; but the new release and manual indicate it should...do I need a patch or more instruction than is contained in the manual?

SBowie
11-03-2011, 12:39 PM
14.2 talks about getting airplay, selecting the apple device in the source menu for the net input....The top menu item in the Net source drop-down should be the Airplay icon. If it is, that's all there is to configure on the TC side of the equation. The rest is on the Airplay device end.

dkinskey
11-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Using XD 300 and an Ipad 2; could not get them to connect; pulled out the linksys put in a belkin; no go; configured the Belkin as indicated pp 247 - 249 in the new XD 300 manual; now, the ipad2 sees the XD 300, we play a video, the Ipad says it is playing the video on XD300 but meanwhile on the tricaster in the network box I drop down the receive and zippo...ideas?

kltv
11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
You don't have to set the drop-down menu. As long is it is on "Receive" it is already set to take in an Airplay stream. It doesn't appear separately in the drop-down menu. The only things that appear in the menu are iVGA type sources, like LiveText or a PC/Mac running iVGA.

Kris

SBowie
11-07-2011, 03:56 PM
now, the ipad2 sees the XD 300...I've never seen it fail if the ipad app 'sees' the triCaster in its Airplay options except if the media has some sort of copyright/drm protection.

gameguyag
11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
I put a new wireless router from Netgear in our flypack and the airplay feature works flawlessly now. Good router with strong signal=airplay success for us.

UnityLivestream
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM
I've never seen it fail if the ipad app 'sees' the triCaster in its Airplay options except if the media has some sort of copyright/drm protection.

Hi all,

I'm here on production with our new TC450 Extrem and first time I tried to use Airplay.
I have that problem that some other people had and can't find a way to get it working.

The iPad and my iPhone shows me the Tricaster to choose for Airplay, but on the Tricaster side I don't receive a signal.
I've tried privat photos and also privat recorded audio files - so they are not protected in any way!

Any Idea what to do??

Best regards from germany

Steve

Lee-AVP
01-27-2012, 08:36 AM
We were messing with Airplay in the shop again the other day, and we found that the only way we could get it to work reliably was to make sure the iPad and the Tricaster both were connected to the network with IP addresses before launching the Tricaster in to Live Production.

SBowie
01-27-2012, 08:52 AM
I've tried privat photos and also privat recorded audio files - so they are not protected in any way!Airplay issues can be surprisingly complex. In my own experience, despite the fact that everything was hunky dory network wise, the particular dual band Cisco router I use at home simply will not work with Airplay, for reasons I've probably explained in more detail elsewhere in the forums. I wound up using a different one.

That said, most of the problems I've seen resulted in the TriCaster entries not showing up on the iOS device. Apart from copyright protection, I'm not sure what might produce a failure connection in that case, but I'll ask around. Maybe someone will have a flash of brilliance here in the meantime.

Koinonia
01-31-2012, 09:10 AM
AirPlay is not working anymore after 4a update in my XD300. iPad recognises Tricaster, but no image and no audio. With 3d it was working great. Also using iVGA now I can see a little delay that wasn't before.
I didn't update my XD850 yet and I will wait a little bit to see if anyone is havind the same issue.

SBowie
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
I've discussed these two recent reports with QA, since at first glance have certain common elements. There are no known bugs in this context. There could be any number of other things at work, since it's a complex subject, but I wanted to pass along one suggestion that might be relevant. We have seen instances where multiple iOS devices in the vicinity of the TriCaster all had the same device name (generally the default Apple name for that device), and this can cause connection issues.

If that remote possibility doesn't seem relevant, I guess it's off to Customer Service you go, sorry.

Koinonia
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM
I've discussed these two recent reports with QA, since at first glance have certain common elements. There are no known bugs in this context. There could be any number of other things at work, since it's a complex subject, but I wanted to pass along one suggestion that might be relevant. We have seen instances where multiple iOS devices in the vicinity of the TriCaster all had the same device name (generally the default Apple name for that device), and this can cause connection issues.

If that remote possibility doesn't seem relevant, I guess it's off to Customer Service you go, sorry.

Hi Steve, I undestand that it could be any number of things, but AirPlay was working good with 3d update and now with 4a it's not working anymore (using the same router and the same network). Also iVGA after 4a update has now a little delay (about 1 second).
Maybe the problem is only with my XD300, but I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problems after 4a in XD300.

Thanks,

Daniel Choi

SBowie
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
Hi Steve, I undestand that it could be any number of things, but AirPlay was working good with 3d update and now with 4a it's not working anymore (using the same router and the same network).Yep, that caught my eye in your post, and (along with the other report) is why I discussed it with QA this morning. So far, no more info though. (It might not be a bad idea to reapply the update, and then maybe try a new session.)

Ozybigal
01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Hi Daniel

I am similar to you on 450 Extreme on the 3d update stills and Videos played on airplay. could even play videos from iMac across wired network.

Now after update Tricaster shows as destination for airplay but no video or audio shows from iPhone or iMac. Strangely the photos from iPhone show up just fine, the photo app even shows tricaster1 and tricaster 2 as destinations. Video player only shows tricaster 2 as destination.

To check it was working in 3d I restored to factory - video plays from iPhone, apply 4a update video no longer plays from iPhone.

Alan Duplex
Perth, Western Australia
OutWest Pty Ltd
outwest.com.au

Ozybigal
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Doing some more playing with airplay while trying to show a video from an ipod with iOS 4 I got this error from the tricaster.

After clearing the error I could still send photos but no video or audio.

Alan Duplex
Perth, Western Australia
OutWest Pty Ltd
outwest.com.au

Koinonia
02-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Doing some more playing with airplay while trying to show a video from an ipod with iOS 4 I got this error from the tricaster.

After clearing the error I could still send photos but no video or audio.

Alan Duplex
Perth, Western Australia
OutWest Pty Ltd
outwest.com.au

Hi Alan,

I got the same error message! I restored XD300 to factory and reinstall 3d and Airplay is working again.
I noticed that 4a has a much better audio quality and meters more precises. The streaming is also better, specially with multibitrate.
4a is stable and video quality a little bit better (that I noticed). The only problems so far is with airplay and ivga.
Before updating my XD850 I would like to know if anyone is having problem with airplay after the update.

Thanks,

Daniel

mikemsi
02-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Hi Steve, I undestand that it could be any number of things, but AirPlay was working good with 3d update and now with 4a it's not working anymore (using the same router and the same network). Also iVGA after 4a update has now a little delay (about 1 second).
Maybe the problem is only with my XD300, but I would like to know if anyone else is having the same problems after 4a in XD300.

I'm having the same issue with AirPlay on our 850. Rev 3d worked, 4a doesn't. No other network or device changes... same iPad and iPhone.

I haven't used iVGA since the update, but, now that you mention it, I did notice a delay after going live from LiveText. I hadn't noticed that before.

SBowie
02-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm back in the office today, and am informed that this problem has been addressed in beta. Testing will follow before making a public revision, but if anyone (who isn't already working with QA) encounters this issue and feels the need for immediate assistance, please contact qa@netwek.com.

gameguyag
02-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Will they allow mirroring via airplay? What about just audio? It seems only videos can be sent to the tricaster via airplay. Mirroring would be ideal, but if I could just get audio to go to the net inputs that would be helpful as well. Mirroring is really a must for getting web pages and twitter feeds directly in to the system instead of having to use a scan converter tethered

ACross
02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
Will they allow mirroring via airplay? What about just audio? It seems only videos can be sent to the tricaster via airplay. Mirroring would be ideal, but if I could just get audio to go to the net inputs that would be helpful as well. Mirroring is really a must for getting web pages and twitter feeds directly in to the system instead of having to use a scan converter tethered

Unfortunately the mirroring capability provided by the very latest versions of iOS is entirely encrypted when transmitted over the network; presumably to protect licensed content. Because of this we are currently not able to add this functionality to the TriCaster.

Andrew

Kim Boulton
03-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Hi everyone, I have just spent a couple of days on understanding how TriCaster handles Apple Air Play. We have an 850 and two 300's. To say the least... can someone just shoot me now?:cursin:
I have a couple of clients that would like to take a program (PDF-notes) on the iPad and display it on screen. (It has the ability to draw in different colors over a PDF.) This program has in it the ability to mirror to Apple TV. (No Air Play button in the program.) I have a work-around coming tomorrow, Apple TV HDMI out to a component (HDCP compliant) converter. I hope this works, we'll see.
Is there any hope that Newtek can find a way to get iPad to mirror or an app. that can run on the Tricaster that will let us mirror to the Tricaster?
Most of us are not pirates and need to help or clients get their message out in a way that is comfortable to them. (I know that this client uses Apple TV directly into his projector when he gives lectures to smaller crowds, not the 6 to 10 thousand that we deal with, running through a switcher and to multiple projectors and monitors.)
Is there any advice or help that you can offer?
Thanks for listening,
Kim :help:

ACross
03-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Kim,

Unfortunately Apple encrypt the AirPlay feed for desktop mirroring and so we are not able to to work with it. There really is nothing that we can do at our level unfortunately. I believe that their reasoning is that you could use this to circumvent copy protection since you can use this to mirror the playback of DRM'd video ... however they could have easily made it so that applications could individually report whether they are working on copy-protected content or not. I would contact Apple and request this ... there is some very outside chance that they might change their stance on this.

Andrew

ACross
03-27-2012, 04:46 PM
I forgot to list a far more realistic alternative. You could ask the application vendor to support regular AirPlay, which is available in the iOS SDK and this would obviously give them the perfect solution.

Andrew

PIZAZZ
03-28-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi everyone, I have just spent a couple of days on understanding how TriCaster handles Apple Air Play. We have an 850 and two 300's. To say the least... can someone just shoot me now?:cursin:
I have a couple of clients that would like to take a program (PDF-notes) on the iPad and display it on screen. (It has the ability to draw in different colors over a PDF.) This program has in it the ability to mirror to Apple TV. (No Air Play button in the program.) I have a work-around coming tomorrow, Apple TV HDMI out to a component (HDCP compliant) converter. I hope this works, we'll see.
Is there any hope that Newtek can find a way to get iPad to mirror or an app. that can run on the Tricaster that will let us mirror to the Tricaster?
Most of us are not pirates and need to help or clients get their message out in a way that is comfortable to them. (I know that this client uses Apple TV directly into his projector when he gives lectures to smaller crowds, not the 6 to 10 thousand that we deal with, running through a switcher and to multiple projectors and monitors.)
Is there any advice or help that you can offer?
Thanks for listening,
Kim :help:

Just use an Apple TV and password protect the Airplay login. It works great to do mirroring until Apple and NewTek can get things working together.

Our workflow was:
iPad version2
Apple TV version1
HDMI to HD-SDI BlackMagicAdapter
Linksys Dual band Wireless router with 5.8ghz active only and password protected just for Ipad connection.

We also put the router right there on the stage by the presenter. Ran a 200' hardline Cat5 ethernet connection from Router to AppleTV.
Kept the Apple TV and HDMI convertor at FOH with the TriCaster. Presented flawlessly to 1000 in attendance and 30-35,000 online live.

Kim Boulton
03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Andrew and Jef for the replys.
I'll get my HDCP compliant HDMI to component converter today. The first converter I bought wasn't HDCP compliant . I'll report back on model number if it works.

Bockos
03-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Many of our videos will stop at ninety seconds, while others will play for ten minutes. The wireless network runs on an Apple Airport Base Station inside our mobile truck. This happens when there are other wireless networks and if there are no other networks. Anyone else experiencing these issues?

Kim Boulton
03-29-2012, 12:56 PM
Hi everyone, my attempts to get Apple TV & AirPlay to work are not bearing fruit!
I have version 3 of ATV and now have a HDCP compliant HDMI to component converter but still no picture. Do you think that it could be that I have ver. 3?
Because the client wants to use his iPad and PDF-Notes, I have to mirror the iPad. (PDF-Notes, does not have an AirPlay link.) So I have to use Apple TV.
Any thoughts?

TCDX 850 & TCXD 300
Apple TV ver 3
HDMI to component converter (HDCP 1.2 portacol compliant)
(I've tried all resolutions)

Kim Boulton
03-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok, I've have borrowed an Apple Tv rev.2 from someone in the office. I can get it to come right up. The rev.3 not so much! Just a heads up.

Lee-AVP
03-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Double check that your Apple TV and iPads are all fully up to date. There were updates to Apple TV and iPad that came out together maybe a month ago and went hand in hand.

Kim Boulton
03-29-2012, 06:57 PM
I have an iPad(3) and the new Apple TV released on the 19.

PIZAZZ
03-29-2012, 06:59 PM
I have an iPad(3) and the new Apple TV released on the 19.

I agree with Lee, still check for software and firmware updates.

Kim Boulton
03-30-2012, 01:03 PM
Ok, latest update. Took new Apple TV (rev3) and restored it to factory. (It conects to Apple and reloads all the latest software.) Still no show on 850. Had Apple TV (rev2) sitting right next to r3, switched HDMI cable to it and shows right up on 850. Looks like the person that loaned me the the r2 gets a free upgrade!
(Side note, when your setting up r3 for testing, make sure you lock down the resilution of the output. My converter wanted to take the 1280 res. and the 850 only does the 750p)

Hope someone else has the time to spend checking this out. (r3) But I know I can get the job done with r2.

Hope this helps all.

Kim

Kim Boulton
03-30-2012, 04:27 PM
Airplay on Aplle TV rev2, came right up and worked the first time I tried it.:beerchug:

dkinskey
04-25-2012, 09:15 AM
I am finally getting the ipad to airplay to the tricaster; photos and slideshows play great, movies (my own productions, not protected content) just set there; the ipad says it is the playing the movie on XD300(1) and I can see the opening frame, but no playing of the movie....suggestions?

More: I walked thru all the steps in the Tricaster 300 manual appendix for troubleshooting the airplay/tricaster connection...finally got the apple to recognize the tricaster with the almost last step of setting the channel to 11 -- that worked, but, as I say, no motion in the motion pictures (not copyrighted prductions, but my own shot in iMovie).

Another question...in network settings, there are listed: (1) the linksys box, (2) XD300, (3) XD300:XD300User (4) [PC]XD300....(4) and (3) are listed in the properties as "media devices"...clicking on them opens the windows media player...huh??? The (2) is the tricaster itself....what up with that?

davedude
05-08-2012, 04:58 PM
I heard that the airplay mirroring signal is encrypted (for copy protection purposes) so very slim chance that the mirroring option will ever be available for the Tricaster I bet.

I am currently looking into trying this application that supports airplay mirroring of an iPhone/iPad on a Windows desktop or Mac desktop (so you don't have to buy an Apple TV)

www.airserverapp.com

tonyleja
05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
We just upgraded our 850 and had the same problem. Ipad-2 shows that it is streaming to the 850 on either net 1 or 2 which ever is selected but no picture and no selection in the drop down box. If a pc is using IVGA it does appear. If it is selected then the Ipad loses the assignment to that net selection but does not go back to display on the device. We tried 2 different IPad-2's and an Iphone with the same results. :tcicon:

Also, what happend to underscan on the net inputs? This was really needed when a pc shows up with a odd size of output display.

Bob
I had the same problem. Changing the network from a PUBLIC to WORK solved the problem of getting the tricaster to see the iPhone.
But photos only seem to work currently for me. I can get a 1st frame of any video but when I press play, the tricaster goes blank

Lee-AVP
05-22-2012, 10:37 AM
In your video ap, if you click the playback output selector and choose "Tricaster", same thing?

tonyleja
05-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes. Same result.....no joy :(

dkinskey
05-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the pointers guys. I installed iOS5 (public release) yesterday and now everything works magically. I also updated my AppleTV device firmware and have to admit, the wireless screen mirroring to HDTV feature is great!
Are there any plans to upgrade the Tricaster's AirPlay capabilities to allow full wireless screen mirroring instead of just pics, tunes, and vids? We are trying to get to the point where our onscreen show hosts can implement live social media elements into the show. If the host could use an iPad to browse Twitter/facebook it would be great to be able to take the iPad screen wirelessly as a video source.
I realize that this is already a possibility using an AppleTV device feeding an HDMI signal into an HDMI to HD-SDI converter and then running that feed into the TC as a source. I am just trying to avoid buying the converter if an update will take care of this a week after I buy it.

I bought a blackmagic hdmi to Sid converter box...ran the apple tv hdmi out to the blackmagic and then from there to the tricaster camera input ,but could not get tricaster to recognize the signal....

dkinskey
05-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Hi Daniel

I am similar to you on 450 Extreme on the 3d update stills and Videos played on airplay. could even play videos from iMac across wired network.

Now after update Tricaster shows as destination for airplay but no video or audio shows from iPhone or iMac. Strangely the photos from iPhone show up just fine, the photo app even shows tricaster1 and tricaster 2 as destinations. Video player only shows tricaster 2 as destination.

To check it was working in 3d I restored to factory - video plays from iPhone, apply 4a update video no longer plays from iPhone.

Alan Duplex
Perth, Western Australia
OutWest Pty Ltd
outwest.com.au

Same problem! Did you find a fix?

Koinonia
06-04-2012, 07:03 AM
Same problem! Did you find a fix?

What Tricaster are you using? Remeber that XD 300 is only 1080i and I believe Black Magic is 1080p. That's could be the problem.